Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Default Recoil Spring question

I'm not new to guns but definitely new to the 1911. Question for y'all…...after receiving my CMP 1911, I cleaned and oiled it before taking it to the range. With slide lock back, I inserted the mag and hit the slide release but the gun failed to load a round. This happened every time with the CMP provided mag along with a couple others I bought. About 1/2 the time I was able to bump the slide forward to load the gun. At that point, the gun worked perfectly but it failed every single time I loaded it when empty.

Should my 1911 work this way or is the recoil spring weak?
Old 11-11-2019, 04:30 PM

It is probably not the recoil spring. Even with a weak recoil spring, there should be no issues releasing the slide. It is prudent to measure the recoil spring free length occasionally and once it measure less than 6", it needs to be replaced.

The way I was taught to release the slide on a loaded magazine was to sling shot the slide forward. I think that tends to work better than using the slide stop to release the slide. That being said, it still should work if the slide stop is depressed. Is the magazine follower over riding the slide release? If this is happening with a number of magazines, you might want to replace the slide stop.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:00 PM

Is the top round nose-diving into the bottom of the ramp? Mine did this, only on the top round. After replacing the recoil spring, extractor, and buying several high quality mags, I finally solved the issue with an EGW higher shelf magazine catch. All mags load like butter on the top rounds now.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:01 PM

Enuf lube? If you’re sure, then a new recoil spring couldn’t hurt.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstick View Post
I'm not new to guns but definitely new to the 1911. Question for y'all…...after receiving my CMP 1911, I cleaned and oiled it before taking it to the range. With slide lock back, I inserted the mag and hit the slide release but the gun failed to load a round. This happened every time with the CMP provided mag along with a couple others I bought. About 1/2 the time I was able to bump the slide forward to load the gun. At that point, the gun worked perfectly but it failed every single time I loaded it when empty.

Mine was same way (wasn't that bad, but loading was "slow), put in a new recoil spring and it's fine. The original spring was a bit short, and it actually had no "finished" coiled end, it was just two cut ends, like it was cut from a bulk length spring, or the coiled end was actually cut off for some reason. Easy fix.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Smile Contact CMP1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstick View Post

You might want to contact CMP1911 to see what they suggest. They may have a fix for it. That could save you a lot of time and expense while avoiding unnecessary replacements and work.

Rick
Old 11-15-2019, 10:39 AM

1911 recoil springs come in several strengths. What would be a recommended strength for a replacement recoil spring? Thanks, Jules
Old 11-15-2019, 11:24 AM

16 lbs is original, some run more or less based on preference or ammo gain used. I run a 17 lb. in mine.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:07 PM

Thanks. Had no idea what strength to use. I should have my service grade in a few days and the first thing I will do is field strip it and apply some gun oil sparingly to the moving parts and lightly grease the slide and check the recoil spring for length. Will most likely also apply a couple of coats of oil if it has that desiccated look out of storage. My son (LtCol, USMC (Ret) is rgn 17,5xx so he is anxious to look at it. Also will take a look at the firing pin spring. Really looking forward to this. Jules

Last edited by Jules; 11-15-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-15-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I should have my service grade in a few days and the first thing I will do is field strip it and apply some gun oil sparingly to the moving parts and lightly grease the slide and check the recoil spring for length. Will most likely also apply a couple of coats of oil if it has that desiccated look out of storage. Jules
Jules, Many folks do not recommend using grease on 1911's but I favor using grease on the barrel bushing and the slide frame interface. However, I do not use just any grease. I use to use Militech synthetic grease and have more recently used Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube II Grease. You don't want to use a heavy non-synthetic grease.