Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Buyer/Seller Feedback forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2019, 05:26 AM

Default Someone that is NOT a member here

Is there a place - or this it - to inform about an individual that is NOT a member here?

I was scammed and would like to advise members here about this individual.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Banned

I'd say this is as good a place as any.

Be careful though...the crowd here got VERY displeased when I was ripped off by a 'regular' here last year and called him out.

I ended up losing $75 on the part I bought, but I have plans to get it back from him in my own way.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:06 AM

I am unsure, if this individual is a member of this forum.

My purpose is not to call him out. My purpose is to ensure nobody else will suffer the same thing I did.

I was scammed out of a significant amount of money. This process started in mid October with a Personal Message (from another forum) asking for my assistance with a project he wanted to work on. Six days later he informed me that he was going to abandon the project and sell the item. I agreed to purchase the item and sent him $100 the next day. He acknowledged receipt of the payment 30 minutes later and said he “should be able to get it out tomorrow”. Thirty minutes later when I told him I would probably not be able to send him the payment for the shipping (after he had determined the amount) until after the military funeral I had that day, he responded with “No biggie”. After 22 days and 5 attempts to contact him using email and Personal Messages (from another forum), I have received no response. Of course, I have all of the correspondence concerning this event. I have no problem posting his name on this forum as well as any other information I have, if anyone would like to know it and doing so is allowed.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Too View Post
I'd say this is as good a place as any.

Be careful though...the crowd here got VERY displeased when I was ripped off by a 'regular' here last year and called him out.
I ended up losing $75 on the part I bought, but I have plans to get it back from him in my own way.
This is twice you’ve posted a reference to this (being castigated here for calling someone out) and there is no history whatsoever in your posts of such activity, either calling someone out, or being addressed by other forum members...for anything.
If you have information on a scammer, please post as such for the benefit of other members.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNUTinIowa View Post
I am unsure, if this individual is a member of this forum.

My purpose is not to call him out. My purpose is to ensure nobody else will suffer the same thing I did.
Feel free to post his username and the forum it was on, as well as any other info you may have, i.e. - name, e-mail, location . Vast majority of these scammers cast a wide net and are rarely just found on one forum...good chance he/she has been here, or will be here.
If necessary, I will move it to the scammer thread in the Site Announcement section: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=173947

Thanks guys,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 11-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
snip . . .

Feel free to post his username and the forum it was on, as well as any other info you may have, i.e. - name, e-mail, location . Vast majority of these scammers cast a wide net and are rarely just found on one forum...good chance he/she has been here, or will be here.
If necessary, I will move it to the scammer thread in the Site Announcement section: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=173947

Thanks guys,
Rob
I posted this very same information on another forum (more on that later)

Update - I was contacted by a member of https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/ (Thomas-90) https://forum.cartri...cartridge/35470

This contact led to an agreement for me to purchase this item.

I used Paypal to send him $100. I would pay the shipping once he determined the cost. He told me the item would be coming from Kentucky. I used “friends and family” because I did not want him to have to pay the cost of the transaction.

Ron Etzig ceased communication after acknowledging he had received the payment. I informed him that I would file a dispute with Paypal concerning the non-receipt of the item. Still no response. When I tried to file the dispute with Paypal, I was informed that since I used “friends and family” I could not file the dispute. They suggested I contact my credit card company. I did.

They were extremely helpful.

I will provide additional information and an update - if anyone cares.

Now the other forum (which will remain nameless right now). It was "poofed" there just after a reference to the rules that basically say "we don't want to hear about it" (Actual quote is - "REMEMBER THIS SECTION IS ONLY TO BE USED FOR LEAVING FEEDBACK REGARDING DEALS WITH FELLOW [insert forum name here] MEMBERS")

You know I am going to respond with "I told you so!" - just as soon as one of those member gets scammed by this guy.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:48 PM

If you send or receive items as a "gift" in PayPal you forfeit filing for a dispute if your goods do not arrive, or are damaged due to poor packing by seller, or if your items don't arrive at all. "Gifting" avoids a percentage charge, it offers no protection with PayPal. As a rule Paypal won't even answer your complaint.

PayPal treats a "gift" payment just as it sounds: a gift. You have no buyer protection when payment is made this way, as a "gift" payment is not used to buy goods. You didn't know this?

Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Seems this guy has a shady past.....
https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAg&uact=5
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...ber-ron-etzig/
Old 11-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
If you send or receive items as a "gift" in PayPal you forfeit filing for a dispute if your goods do not arrive, or are damaged due to poor packing by seller, or if your items don't arrive at all. "Gifting" avoids a percentage charge, it offers no protection with PayPal. As a rule Paypal won't even answer your complaint.

PayPal treats a "gift" payment just as it sounds: a gift. You have no buyer protection when payment is made this way, as a "gift" payment is not used to buy goods. You didn't know this?
Yes. I quit listing PayPal as a form of accepted payment because even when I write "no friends and family" some people do it anyway.

Also, sometimes computers don't work and people get sick or die. I've went through several times where I couldn't get my e-mail to work.

xllx@msn.com
Old 11-16-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post

No, I did not know this.

Honestly, I just use Paypal to send money to honest folks doing what honest folks do. It never occurred to me that some folks on the forums I frequent are not honest.

What can I say? In my neck of the woods, we trust people.

I suppose this is the purpose of this whole thread - to tell (or just remind) the fine folks on this forum that not all folks are honest.

Oddly enough on one of the forums, I am a member of, they do not seem to care about this information. They "poofed" my thread - because they could not find any information to confirm this individual was a member of that forum. Evidently they aren't that concerned with the members of their forum knowing about less than honest folks.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 AM

UPDATE (two actually)

#1 - After giving careful consideration to my membership on the "other" forum, I posted my reasons and said thanks for the memories. My status was changed to "GUEST". All of my threads on that forum have my user name with "GUEST". All of the thanks that I gave to the folks that contributed to my threads show the thanks, but evidently since a "GUEST" can't give thanks, it just says "thanks"with no name indicated. At least they did not delete the threads (probably because there really is some good information in them).

#2 - Yesterday my wife came to the Shop and told me a truck had just left a package at the front door. The package was from Kentucky - the state the scammer told me the item would be coming from. I spent a bunch of time trying to think of where I posted all of those comments about him on the internet, as I was getting my camera to take photos of the package. I took a photo of the unopened box and the label. I got out my knife to open the box and told my wife I sure hoped it did not blow up, when I opened it. After cutting the tape on the flap, I carefully opened the box. That did not look right. Yep, evidently the curtain rods I ordered for the railroad depot also came from Kentucky. No corrections or apologies needed to the scammer, but I do have curtains to install at he Depot next week.