Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 PM

We've got a new member who works for Saginaw Gear. Any chance you can talk to some of the old timers, or dig through some old broom closets for interesting trivia?!?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 PM

The NPM and Trimble companies are long gone, but the buildings are still there: http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=17
Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 PM

The burroughs and Univac reference makes me think of the BUNCH companies:
Burroughs
Univac
NCR (National Cash Register)
CDC (Control Data Corporation)
Honeywell.

They were so nicknamed because their Combined revenue in any given year was less than IBM's. As I mentioned earlier, I used to work for IBM and have over a dozen ThinkPads; when I was an undergrad at UMASS, we had a CDC Cyber system they they got because CDC built it for the ruskies but didn't get state dept approval to actually sell it to them!; the Army's old repair parts tracking system DAS3 was based on an ancient Honeywell Level 6 minicomputer with the removable disk packs if you know what they are / were; the Army also dabbled in a Burroughs microcomputer call the TAC running BTOS (Burroughs Tacticval Operating system). that's about all the trivia tie-ins to this that i have with the Bunch for now...
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Actually Remington sold thier typwriter business in 1886.

In 1886, E. Remington and Sons sold its typewriter business to the Standard Typewriter Manufacturing Company, Inc. Included were the rights to use the Remington name. "Standard Typewriter" changed its name in 1902 to "Remington Typewriter Company".

Remington Rand was formed by the merger of the Remington Typewriter Company, Rand Kardex Company, and Powers Accounting Machine Company in 1927. From its inception until 1958, it was led by founder James Rand, Jr. of North Tonawanda, New York.
From 1942 to 1945, Remington Rand was one manufacturer of the M1911A1 .45 caliber automatic pistol used by the United States Armed Forces during World War II. Remington Rand produced more M1911A1 pistols than any other wartime manufacturer.[2]
In 1950, Remington Rand acquired the Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corporation, founded by the makers of the ENIAC, and in 1952, they acquired Engineering Research Associates (ERA), both of which were pioneers in electronic computing. At that time, Remington Rand had become one of the biggest computer companies in the United States.
Remington Rand was acquired by Sperry Corporation in 1955 to form a company then known as Sperry Rand (later shortened to Sperry). Sperry merged in 1986 with Burroughs to form Unisys
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post

Rock Ola - still going strong, still making juke boxes and other novelty type machines (and if you balk at the cost of a Rockola Carbine, take a look at the price of their Jukeboxes!).
Not really.

Quote:
In 1992 Rockola sold the jukebox assets to Glenn Streeter of the Antique Apparatus Company who then consolidated jukebox manufacturing operations in his Torrance, California factory.

http://www.kuijs.net/rock-ola/0200.htm
A California company acquired the Rock-Ola name and is using it to market their products, but it is a different company. Similar to Springfield Armory, Inc. acquiring and using the Springfield Armory name, but it isn't the same as the original Springfield Armory.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:55 AM

As a IBM employee, I was very disappointed that the company never mentioned their war time products in their 100th anniversary events. There was not even a picture posted of a carbine or BAR or grenade launcher. I figure the company only wanted to show case their business achievements but without the war products they would not have had any after 1945.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
As a IBM employee, I was very disappointed that the company never mentioned their war time products in their 100th anniversary events. There was not even a picture posted of a carbine or BAR or grenade launcher. I figure the company only wanted to show case their business achievements but without the war products they would not have had any after 1945.
It seems silly to a lot of us, but most companies want to distance themselves from anything political, including guns (and wars).
Old 02-17-2016, 11:01 AM

Bumping an old thread for some of the newer folks caught up in the Carbine frenzy, lol. Spent a little time on this, and figured the information was worth repeating.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:34 AM

Enjoyed the read!