Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Default what did your member of the greatest generation do?

With the passing of each day and more of our WWII vets going to be with their friends I thought I would pose the question. What did your fathers and grand fathers do during the war. I think most of us here are interested to some degree in history and I think all of us respect what that generation did for our country, and the world. Both of my Grandfathers were involved in the war. One, leonard Fabing, was a seebee in the pacific from 43-46. He was involved with operation crossroads, the atomic testing at the bikini atoll. My other grandfather Sam Saluzzo, was in the merchant marine in the atlantic. Lastly was my Best friend as a teenager Maj Francis FM "pappy" Grove, he was a P-51 pilot with the 4th fighter group and flew 63 combat missions. The best day of my life was after I was typed and became a captian on the DC-3 taking him with me on a test hop. They are all gone and I sure miss them.

I hope this thread catches on, their stories should be told so they are never forgotten

Tom.

Last edited by croftonaviation; 02-28-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Father was in 9th Special SeaBees, Soloman Islands with the Marines to include Guadalcanal and Bouganville. Father in law with the Army on Omaha Beach and beyond. Came home with Bronze Star and Purple Heart. Both are gone now.

Gunny

DAD ON THE RIGHT

Last edited by gunny; 06-17-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM

My dad graduated from West Point in 1939. He commanded an Engineer company in North Africa in 1942. He also served in the Pacific as company commander of a combat engineer company.

He served in Viet Nam for two tours as Commanding General Engineers. I messed serving with him by two months. Prior to Viet Nam he served in Korea as a combat engineer.

He retired as a Major General with many medals.

He was a great dad.

Chuck
Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM

My Father was in the 101st AB 501PIR. He had two bronze stars on his jump wings. One for Normandy one for Holland. He was wounded in Holland by mortar shrapnel, medivac'd and rejoined his unit just in time for Bastone. They went on to occupy Germany and were billeted in a German Army Cavalry barracks in Bertchesgarden. He went on to have a career in the USAF. When he retired he worked with the Boy Scouts on a regional council, single-handedly created a sheltered workshop employing handicapped workers (which still exists today) and passed away in 2000 after his last battle with Cancer.

He looks young in this pic because he was 17.

Last edited by joe wilson; 02-27-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM

My father was a submariner in the Pacific. Saw mostly boring patrol duty but did blow up a communication island, sunk a couple of ships and rescued a downed US aviator.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 PM

No one who served on a sub would ever call it boring. Like living in a tuna can.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:01 PM

SSgt Robert R Moore, Cannon Company, 394th Infantry, Normandy to Germany.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:24 PM

My father was regular Army stationed in the Philipines prior to Pearl Harbor. When the Japanese attacked, he fought for four months and was surrendered on Bataan. He survived the death march and spent the rest of war as a slave laborer in the Philipines and in Japan. After the war he took advantage of a wonderful GI bill and became a nuclear physicist. He is now enjoying retirement and still walks 18 holes of golf three times a week. My father is 88 years old.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Father in law, Harry LeRoy, medic with 2/134th infantry, 35th Division. Combat Medics badge, Bronze Star w/V for action at St. Lo, two Purple Hearts. Evacuated for wounds that should have resulted in 3rd Heart @ 04/1945. Died 12/16/10.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:33 PM

my wifes Grandfather was a Chaplin in WWII. he disobeyed an oder to stay on the ship until it was safe for him and his Jeep to go ashore. he climbed down in a landing craft and went ashore with his men. this was the morning of June 6th 1944, Omaha beach. he helped with the wounded and dieing. at the end of the second day his cloths became stiff from all the blood on his cloths. his only choice was to walk back into the ocean to wash out the blood. at the end of the second day, they finally brought his Jeep ashore. for many of those men, his was the last face they saw. he went from Omaha Beach to Berlin. he was awarded the Bronze Star for June 6th 1944. he passed away in the early 70's, and is in Arlington National Cemetery, on "Chaplin's Hill"