Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiles1960 View Post
The Winchester barrel, IMO needs replacing. I'm glad I learned this now, rather than later.

An M1 Carbine is NEVER going to be a tack driver. If you think of it as an accurate pistol, you should be able to live with. Carbines, having never "tasted" corrosive ammo usually have nice shiny bores. Replacing an original barrel on a WW2 rifle, even with not the tightest muzzle (and 1/8th isn't horrible) would not be something I would be in a hurry to do, especially without range testihng it and the fact that you have another carbine to shoot that shoots so well.

How likely am I to find a new Winchester barrel or what is the recommendation to find a replacement?

A WRA barrel will cost you. How much, My guess, 3-4X the cost of a commercial barrel replacment.

Jim
NT

Last edited by HughUno; 04-09-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:40 PM

Default M1 Carbine barrel wear test gauge

I must be dreaming, but the postings I see here from some years ago state all sorts of non-scientific tests to determine the barrel diameter at the Muzzle.

Inserting the various bullets, ect. which is nothing less than VOODO testing.

Buy a barrel gauge for the M1 Carbine for $20.00. This is a simple marked metal gauge with diameters clearly marked that you insert into the barrel, than you will know it's diameter.

What is the maximum diameter before you replace barrel, I do not know, some say, .303" is the wear limit, but I am not sure of this and defer to others to comment.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

It's all voodoo. This horse is so dead, it's not even fun beating it any more. Gauges are intended for armorers who do not shoot every rifle that comes into their grasp. If you already own the rifle, skip the gauges and shoot it. If it shoots well, enjoy it. If it does not shoot well, it might need a new barrel. Of course, it might not shoot well because you are a crummy shot. And if you are a crummy shot, a new barrel ain't gonna help.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 11-03-2017, 07:15 PM

What do you want from the piece.
Restoration to "correct"
Restoration to make it look and function like news
Are you just trying to make it a shooter?
Personally I would try to get a solid professional evaluation and appraisal. My friend had a decent Winchester and was only interested in a shooter.
He was able to trade the winchester for a,inland with new barrel and stock along with new springs.
Plus $800 cash and 1500 rounds of ammo.
I think he got the better end of the deal.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:14 AM

Default What's your reason for the reply

Help me understand, are you two so knowledgeable that you need to tell us all that what we have to add in helping others is worthless. A bore gauge is not a useless tool, it is a great tool when reviewing a specific firearm and in making a decision on it's value based on the bore diameter as an important key in determining it's state of wear.

A .30 cal rifle with a .303 bore is not nearly as valuable to me as one with a .300 or. 301 or even a .302, in fact, this would cause me to drop it's value by atleast 30% or more from teh rifle, but then my 50 years of using weapons is probably not from a certified institution like yours is, ha-ha.

For the folks looking at a M1 Carbine, use the gauge as well as to review all other aspects of the weapon you are looking at to buy to help decide on it's value, plus just how much you like the item, their is no gauge for that.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:43 PM

Seriously, how does it shoot? That will tell you more than any gauge or process ever will.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:54 PM

If it's been rebuilt several times already (as many have), it's not a good restoration candidate. It is worth more with the original barrel. Best option is to leave as-is, see how it shoots, and enjoy it for what it is.

Edit: wow just noticed how old this post was before being brought back to life!

Last edited by GotSnlB28; 11-04-2017 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Old post !?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:36 PM

6 year old post and its still bothering you?
Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Default And I thought people actually grew into adults.

As I stated the issue posted was from years ago, however I had just came across it and wanted to offer some useful advice to many who do not have or know that a bore Gauge exists and or it's usefulness. But I can see that you are just one of the type of guys that pokes at everybody and every thing, and likely knows very little in reality.

Try being an adult and use this site to help others and not be a jerk.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd14 View Post
As I stated the issue posted was from years ago, however I had just came across it and wanted to offer some useful advice to many who do not have or know that a bore Gauge exists and or it's usefulness. But I can see that you are just one of the type of guys that pokes at everybody and every thing, and likely knows very little in reality.

Try being an adult and use this site to help others and not be a jerk.
What's a bore gauge? Im a shooter...so those arent really useful.

I would suggest you follow your own advice and throttle back the attitude.
Closed Thread