Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM

Default Proper M1 Garand ammo

Is modern factory loaded ammo safe to shoot in a fully functional M1 Garand rifle. The manual I recieved from CMP stated that if commercial ammo is used I should select loadings with bullets of 180 grains or less. I have been using only Winchester 150 grain super X ammo. I have had someone of late tell me that I should only use miltary ball ammo or I will damage the operating rod. Military ammo is hard to find. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 PM

You need to do a search in the posts about ammo to use with your M1. This topic has been beat to death here.

And yes, you should stick to "military" type loads to begin with. The CMP sells ammo that will work with your M1.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Federal and Hornady make M1 specific ammo.
Navy SEABEES 70-75
Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 PM

While basically correct, most of us regard these warnings as overstated.

Indeed, I never paid any attention to bullet weight with a properly greased rifle, save to the extent the heftier ones beat me up more than I enjoyed. As bullet weight goes up, however, burn rate in handloads becomes very important, as does shooter fatigue, not always for the same oversimplified reasons.

I no longer shoot at 600 yards and/or to 1000 meters, so the 190-grain loads from a decade or so ago don't go through my rifles any more.

But I put many hundreds through Garands, without any ill effect on the rifles.

Such loads are almost never seen in factory fodder, anyway.

The "match" loads I've tested from Hornady, Federal, and others were all just fine in the M1, in both common chamberings, including in service rifles, albeit the price is right on the brink of equivalent jewelry. But that fodder is not only well within parameters, so was the earlier 172-174 grain match ammo and heavy ball going back as far as 1939. Indeed, in both most common loadings, I do not recall a SINGLE M1 which did not shoot more accurately with heavier-than-ball (168-180 grain) Boat tail bullets than with M2 ball similar/equivalent.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 10-18-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: omission
Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 PM

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catal...4=&note5=&max=
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 PM

I know a guy that has been shooting factory 150 and 165gr's in his M1 for years with no bad effects. Adjustable gas plug is also something you may want to look at. As 78jeep posted, that is one of the best deals going. There has been many threads on the subject and I'm not sure either way. I load my own and shoot surplus.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 PM

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question. Included in the description of the surplus Greek ammo in the above CMP store link, is the statement " This Ammo Attracts a Magnet". I've shot some of this ammo and wondered if there is enough of a copper plating, jacket, wash or whatever, over the steel to protect the rifle barrel? I also shoot surplus ammo that attracts a magnet in Mosin's and SKS's but those are considerably less valuable rifles. I know there is a lot of talk on AR forums about this subject and just wondered what the feeling is among this forum's members.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM

Not sure if I'm "most of us" but:
- this has been beaten to death as has been posted already- use the search function.
- the problem as shown by ERICC in his testing is that some commercial loads in that "safe zone" exceed the military ball pressures.
- so it's your rifle and face- find the threads read them and decide for yourself.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWG View Post
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question. Included in the description of the surplus Greek ammo in the above CMP store link, is the statement " This Ammo Attracts a Magnet". I've shot some of this ammo and wondered if there is enough of a copper plating, jacket, wash or whatever, over the steel to protect the rifle barrel? I also shoot surplus ammo that attracts a magnet in Mosin's and SKS's but those are considerably less valuable rifles. I know there is a lot of talk on AR forums about this subject and just wondered what the feeling is among this forum's members.
The steel jackets used are of a very mild steel and will not cause abnormal wear. The U.S. government has used mild steel jacketed bullets for many years.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Banned

You are shooting an old gas rifle, with pretty narrowly defined port pressures. Go over that pressure and you risk damaging the M1 Garand's achilles heel...its operating rod. Specifically, you risk bending it, ruining it, breaking the op rod. You also risk higher than needed steel on steel battering as the action is worked harder than normal with modern, commercial 30.06 factory loads.

You should shoot only military surplus "M2 ball" 30.06 thru your M1. Or commercial factory loads specifically made for the M1's unique needs. Such as the Hornady 168 grain M1 Garand match bullet. Federal makes a 150 grain 30.06 specifically for the M1 Garand. I had a case of the stuff, it says "made for the M1 Garand" on the box cover and has a picture of the M1 Garand as well. Sometimes the e-store will carry that brand besides mil-surplus.

Supposedly Privi Partizan is selling 30.06 M2 ball commercial loads now. Although I personally would stick with CMP ammo or HXP 30.06 from a few other reputable sources such as Orion.

Like most guys who shoot commercial loads thru their M1s, bend their op rods or overwork their rifles and something strains it. Like they are gonna come here and admit it to the M1 world. A few guys might do that, new guys might do it who dont know any better. But I figure for every guy who claims they shoot commercial 30.06 thru their M1 Garand and "have no problems at all," I figure ten more have bent their op rods or had other problems from firing modern hot factory 30.06 loads thru an M1 Garand GAS RIFLE.

Almost all M1 Garand ammo sold as factory ammo nowadays is made for 30.06 bolt action hunting rifles. Almost none of it is made specifically for that narrow M1 Garand port pressure that cycles the M1's action properly. If it does and is commercial ammo, it will say so on the box or case or both.

This was one of the very first things I learned at an M1 Garand match. After the match was over and I was beat all to hell, I walked up to the place where they were selling rifles. And the guy selling the rifles explained to me "you cant just shoot any 30.06 thru these M1 rifles." I did not know what the heck he was talking about. Took me about a five minute conversation to learn one of the basic M1 Garand rules: M2 ball mil-surplus or equivalent.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by graven View Post
Is modern factory loaded ammo safe to shoot in a fully functional M1 Garand rifle. The manual I recieved from CMP stated that if commercial ammo is used I should select loadings with bullets of 180 grains or less. I have been using only Winchester 150 grain super X ammo. I have had someone of late tell me that I should only use miltary ball ammo or I will damage the operating rod. Military ammo is hard to find. Thanks.