Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Amen to that I had some Remington Bronze tipped rounds that I gave to a friend because I didn't want to risk damaging my M1.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 AM

This pretty much sums it up.Maybee someone local in your area could offer some assitance ? What part of the country are you located in ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40 View Post
You are shooting an old gas rifle, with pretty narrowly defined port pressures. Go over that pressure and you risk damaging the M1 Garand's achilles heel...its operating rod. Specifically, you risk bending it, ruining it, breaking the op rod. You also risk higher than needed steel on steel battering as the action is worked harder than normal with modern, commercial 30.06 factory loads.

You should shoot only military surplus "M2 ball" 30.06 thru your M1. Or commercial factory loads specifically made for the M1's unique needs. Such as the Hornady 168 grain M1 Garand match bullet. Federal makes a 150 grain 30.06 specifically for the M1 Garand. I had a case of the stuff, it says "made for the M1 Garand" on the box cover and has a picture of the M1 Garand as well. Sometimes the e-store will carry that brand besides mil-surplus.

Supposedly Privi Partizan is selling 30.06 M2 ball commercial loads now. Although I personally would stick with CMP ammo or HXP 30.06 from a few other reputable sources such as Orion.

Like most guys who shoot commercial loads thru their M1s, bend their op rods or overwork their rifles and something strains it. Like they are gonna come here and admit it to the M1 world. A few guys might do that, new guys might do it who dont know any better. But I figure for every guy who claims they shoot commercial 30.06 thru their M1 Garand and "have no problems at all," I figure ten more have bent their op rods or had other problems from firing modern hot factory 30.06 loads thru an M1 Garand GAS RIFLE.

Almost all M1 Garand ammo sold as factory ammo nowadays is made for 30.06 bolt action hunting rifles. Almost none of it is made specifically for that narrow M1 Garand port pressure that cycles the M1's action properly. If it does and is commercial ammo, it will say so on the box or case or both.

This was one of the very first things I learned at an M1 Garand match. After the match was over and I was beat all to hell, I walked up to the place where they were selling rifles. And the guy selling the rifles explained to me "you cant just shoot any 30.06 thru these M1 rifles." I did not know what the heck he was talking about. Took me about a five minute conversation to learn one of the basic M1 Garand rules: M2 ball mil-surplus or equivalent.

Eric