Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Default Cobbled Together M1 Rifles

Most of us have seen the photo of the Snuffy, early in WWII, cleaning battlefield picked up M1 Rifles in some jungle clearing, stripped of his shirt and using rags and cans of some sort of solvent to get the grime off the disassembled rifles.

Does anyone believe that that soldier cared one bit about putting the same parts back into those rifles? Or for that matter, did anyone up the chain of Ordnance repairs care any more or less, about the same issue.

I was among the final group of Regular Army troops to carry the M1 Rifle, from Feb. '61 until Sept. '63, when they handed me an M14. Every M1 that I carried would today be called a "Mix Master" for the varied parts that it contained. However, they were the real warriors rifles and that is how they would've gone into combat.

What I am aiming to say, is that in the vast majority of cases, if an M1 Rifle appears to be "as issued, with all original parts", it has likely been reassembled to look like that by people who gather parts and then endeavor to "create" "correct" rifles. To each his own. I am not bothered by any of it.

My only point is that in my particular case, I feel that rifles coming out of the old DCM program or from CMP today, from right off the racks, where they were put, waiting to be re issued to an America fighting man, are the best. No frills, just tools, checked out and ready to again serve.

Steven in DeLand, FL
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 AM

"'Each to his own taste,' said the preacher as he kissed the cow."

"Life is Good!"
Old 04-17-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysclockgun View Post
"as issued, with all original parts", it has likely been reassembled to look like that by people who gather parts
Likely, but not always. I have picked up a 3.5M and a 3.6M from the CMP that were correct except for the trigger groups. And some earlier Garands that were quite correct and original. Some rifles sit in a rack or in storage and have lived 'boring' lives.

Last edited by Bitten; 04-17-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:40 AM

There is no "always" with a service rifle + 5.5m produced + soldiers who were (mostly) not collectors + rebuild depots + oh, a few wars.

Could a rifle have a part removed in 1943, serve 15 years and be reunited with the exact part while serving with a different army/ sure, and it probably happened. 3 times?

Some people like "as built", some like "corrected", some like "all the same color", some like "accurate". Selling a correct to a shooter won't guarantee top dollar any more than a mixmaster with a match barrel to a high end collector.

I buy what fits my needs and enjoy discussing with those in different parts of the hobby from me. They are all wrong, but that's OK. :-)

JH
Old 04-17-2018, 09:11 AM

I kind of agree with the OP...

In a way Mixmasters are really more historically "correct" than those made to match. JMHO

But it is an individual hobby... To each his own.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 AM

You are probably right OP. I love my mixmaster. I've got a WRA receiver that threw lead in combat in WW2. I've got a SA stock that saw European or Pacific dirt and grime, likely American blood and a lot of sweat.

Those are important to me... knowing that I am able to hold the same wood that a true hero held... knowing that the rifle that I fired was used to defend the world and advance American interests. Being "correct" or "original" or "collectible" doesn't mean anything to me.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Only one of my 14 original-barreled WWII rifles is correct, and that's because it is a correct grade. The other thirteen are "par-corrected" as opportunity permits, in part because I largely agree with the OP, in part because it can get expensive purchasing additional parts, and in part because of the difficulty in locating correct parts of the same wear and finish as the rest of the rifle.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Only one of my 14 original-barreled WWII rifles is correct, and that's because it is a correct grade. The other thirteen are "par-corrected" as opportunity permits, in part because I largely agree with the OP, in part because it can get expensive purchasing additional parts, and in part because of the difficulty in locating correct parts of the same wear and finish as the rest of the rifle.
Please........some pictures of the WW2 correct grade you recently aquired.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:19 PM

The fact that you could take rifles from four manufactures with sub contractors, strip them and throw the parts in a pile then assemble functioning rifles with minimal hand fitting (the bolt) quite amazing.

john
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnHD View Post
The fact that you could take rifles from four manufactures with sub contractors, strip them and throw the parts in a pile then assemble functioning rifles with minimal hand fitting (the bolt) quite amazing.

john
What gave America an edge. A good thing.