Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2018, 06:12 PM

Default What is up with the Hackberry rack grade stocks?

Getting a lot of reports at the stores having rack grade rifles in the red Hackberry stocks.

These stocks were previously only put on the Ceremonial rifles given out to Legion posts and such.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=124528

Why the sudden release of this substandard wood? From what I understand that wood will split and crack under the recoil of M2 ball. But it is fine for M1909 blanks.

The description on the website says for rack grade
"(rough but functional and have been test fired)"

I don't think a rifle with a Hackberry stock is "functional"

Far better to sell them as woodless then to sell someone a rifle that is supposed to shoot with a stock that will crack.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:32 PM

I think its because a very large number of the Turkish returns are stocked with some as yet unidentified type of yellow wood. While attending the AMC earlier this month I saw many of the armorers tossing large number of these stocks into large boxes. Something wound up on those rifles, so I'm guessing its the Hackberry stocks. I agree with you 100 %. If I'm just going to toss the stock and find another stock I'd rather buy it woodless in the first place. Actually, I'd like to take shot at redoing one of those yellow Turkish stocks to see how it would turn out as opposed to Hackberry.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:39 PM

Hackberry is a tough stringy wood , very difficult to split compared to black walnut . I have cut and split lots of both for firewood .
Old 02-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
Getting a lot of reports at the stores having rack grade rifles in the red Hackberry stocks.

These stocks were previously only put on the Ceremonial rifles given out to Legion posts and such.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=124528

Why the sudden release of this substandard wood? From what I understand that wood will split and crack under the recoil of M2 ball. But it is fine for M1909 blanks.

The description on the website says for rack grade
"(rough but functional and have been test fired)"

I don't think a rifle with a Hackberry stock is "functional"

Far better to sell them as woodless then to sell someone a rifle that is supposed to shoot with a stock that will crack.
How many of the recent rack grades have you examined or fired to classify them as not functional?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigswedez View Post
Hackberry is a tough stringy wood , very difficult to split compared to black walnut . I have cut and split lots of both for firewood .
Split and crack are two different things. The grain is stringy and hard to separate completely, but cracks easily. It is a very soft wood compared to walnut.

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

I WAS the proud owner of 45+ 100% A+ ratings on the old itrader system.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 PM

According to google, hackberry is like ash, only cheaper and weaker. Maybe its strong enough for a Garand stock, it shouldn't take long to hear some reports on its suitability for this application. Wouldnt surprise me if it works fine. More than the type of wood, the poor quality of some of finishing shown in recent pictures of these stocks is eye opening. Poorly finished products look cheap and make you wonder if the maker cares about the product.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM

You would think cmp could work a deal to buy the birch stocks from dupage cheaper than new hackberry from Boyd's.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 PM

I’d like to paint one snow white like I’ve seen on some garands used in snow environments. I can’t bring myself to paint gi wood, but these would be good candidates. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find the picture showing this. I believe the pictures were of the Alaskan national guard.

Last edited by Moorem1s; 02-18-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 PM

They are Rack Grades, whats it matter???
Old 02-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Rack Grade description ,reads the wood may have cracks

will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many digs, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition

I have handled many, many hundreds of Rack Grades over the years, there were a few gems in them but for the most part they all needed new wood and barrels anyway