Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
Looks good Dave.
I guess I have another thing to watch out for now when diving in the sling box. I will feel the need to find other dates, now......

With the way they keep the slings bound up tight with a zip-tie, these tab-marked are usually the only ones you can tell are marked.

With this post I imagine there will be more competition to find them

Rob
Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM

Default Mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Looks good Dave.
I guess I have another thing to watch out for now when diving in the sling box. I will feel the need to find other dates, now......

With the way they keep the slings bound up tight with a zip-tie, these tab-marked are usually the only ones you can tell are marked.

With this post I imagine there will be more competition to find them

Rob
Yep, I will one of them guys keeping an eye out for them . I think it is another cool item from the CMP..

Last edited by PH68; 04-08-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:16 PM

I have a couple also, both 1-64
Old 04-08-2018, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLD View Post
I have a couple also, both 1-64
Same here.....1-64
Old 04-08-2018, 08:59 PM

I have some 64 dated in the pile somewhere.

But as a side note. I do have documents of them ordering slings to be Mildew treated, and then marked the date of the Mildew Treatment.

My point in this is, on this one document I have, it talks about the slings have already been in long term storage and they should get them out and mildew treat them. Then stamp the date of the treatment on them. And put them back into storage.

So these slings, even thought unissued before, were not made at the time of the Mildew treatment date, as they had been in storage for a while and pulled out.

So the point is, the date might not necessarily be the date they were made, but just might be the date of the Mildew treatment.

Just a thought to consider as well as around the date on them being around the time of manufacture.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
I have some 64 dated in the pile somewhere.

But as a side note. I do have documents of them ordering slings to be Mildew treated, and then marked the date of the Mildew Treatment.

My point in this is, on this one document I have, it talks about the slings have already been in long term storage and they should get them out and mildew treat them. Then stamp the date of the treatment on them. And put them back into storage.

So these slings, even thought unissued before, were not made at the time of the Mildew treatment date, as they had been in storage for a while and pulled out.

So the point is, the date might not necessarily be the date they were made, but just might be the date of the Mildew treatment.

Just a thought to consider as well as around the date on them being around the time of manufacture.
Well, that puts a completely different perspective on slings marked this way. I have a couple of these slings on my '60's rebuilds thinking they would be a time appropriate sling for them....maybe not so much. I'll have to check them out next time I do a maintenance check.

Thanks for the info, cplnorton.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
Well, that puts a completely different perspective on slings marked this way. I have a couple of these slings on my '60's rebuilds thinking they would be a time appropriate sling for them....maybe not so much. I'll have to check them out next time I do a maintenance check.

Thanks for the info, cplnorton.
And it's possible this wasn't always the case. But I know I even have a similar document detailing the same thing on Cheekpads for the Garand.

So maybe even some of the dates on the M1 Cheekpads weren't the dates they were manufactured, but were the date they were just treated.

It's really hard to say, but it is an interesting detail to think about. As it possibly might not be the date of manufacture.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

It might not give the date of manufacture, but wouldn't it give an approximate date of usage?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Default Mrt 8-63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
I think I will dig out my stash of these and see how many different dates I have.
Might be interesting.

Rob

Well, it seems that out of 4 years diving into the sling box at the store I have only managed to accumulate 6 slings marked like the one shown and every one of them are dated 1/64.
Found several this morning stamped the normal 1/64 but found one stamped 8/63, just a little different.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Default I need to pay better attention

I will have to pay better attention as I am diving in the sling box.
There is really nothing of an visual indicator that these are different from any of the 50's marked slings to make them stand out (like the WWII and foreign-made do), and you only see one side of the tang(tab?) when browsing.

While I have been aware of these and have seen quite a few go to other guys at the store, I found 1/2 of mine after I got home with a random handful of slings.

Rob