Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2018, 05:12 PM

Default While we are looking at slings.....what the heck are these???

I have a couple slings that puzzle me just a bit. Maybe someone out there will know what these are.
The two slings showcased here have a very fine and almost luxurious weave. They looks sorta like the WWII style which is why I pulled them from the sling box.
Problem is one of the is marked MRT 3/61 (the date is put on by hand).
The Keeper is sort of an abbreviated WWII style. I had seen these keepers in the sling box previously and always thought they were just broken WWII style, but now I am not so sure. They don't look broken, just different.

A few pictures should help:

Anybody else out there seen any of these or have an idea why they differ so much from other slings of the period>

I wish there was more information out there on these things,
Rob
Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 PM

Not sure about the weave. Could be foreign. The keeper looks bigger than the one found on a M1923 sling which is smaller than the keeper on the M1 sling. Iím not home to compare.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 PM

Rob,

I have at least one sling that is identical to yours...not sure if it is MRT marked. I'll have to dig it out and see. Like you, I have always wondered what it was and if it was USGI.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:10 AM

Default Wayne Bradford to the rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
Rob,

I have at least one sling that is identical to yours...not sure if it is MRT marked. I'll have to dig it out and see. Like you, I have always wondered what it was and if it was USGI.
Dave,
Wayne Bradford may have come to the rescue in identifying this sling. He has the exact same thing up on ebay right now and has it titled:
"U.S. Army early Vietnam cotton sling 1961 -TRW HRA WRA SA (also M1 Garand)"

Rob
Old 04-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Dave,
Wayne Bradford may have come to the rescue in identifying this sling. He has the exact same thing up on ebay right now and has it titled:
"U.S. Army early Vietnam cotton sling 1961 -TRW HRA WRA SA (also M1 Garand)"

Rob
Nice! Thanks for the info. You can barely make out the MRT marking on my sling...but it is there.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-14-2018, 06:02 PM

Default 1961 sling

I bought some of those 1961 slings several years ago, and puzzled over them myself.

The keeper in the sling is the flat design, which was manufactured for slings in WWII. This flat keeper was supposedly transitioned out in late 1944 for the "humped keeper."

That is well and good, but the keepers on these 1961 slings are actually the flat design, and made blackened brass, which throws a monkey wrench into the progression of the sling keepers.

I got a call from a buddy of mine last week, who told me that Bill Ricca had discovered documentation that these 1961 slings were made by a contractor who was provided the incorrect drawings for the sling, and made them to WWII specs, with the flat keeper. However, he did make the keepers out of brass, and blackened them, like the brass sling tips of the mid-1950s.

I have searched Ricca's website, but cannot seem to locate this information. Perhaps he has not posted it yet, but I hope he will soon.

In any event, these are unusual early Vietnam slings, and it is a nice variation to have in your sling collection.
Alabama Air National Guard: January 1990 - August 2012
MSGT Bradford participated in the following ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance) Operations: Air National Guard Counterdrug Operations (1992-2007); Deliberate Force; Joint Endeavor; Northern Watch; Southern Watch; Enduring Freedom; Iraqi Freedom