View Poll Results: Why are you not using NM Collector Software
Trouble with installation. 0 0%
Did not work on my computer. 0 0%
Does not have the features I am looking for. 1 50.00%
Other - please elaborate 1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 PM

Question Looking for feedback on Java

ALL of the problems people request help for these days are java installation issues. Packaging Java with the NM Collector application will eliminate those problems.

However, this will require additional work and/or additional expense on my end so I want to see if there are any people who have given up on using the software due to Java issues on their computer but have not requested help from me.

Please let me know through responses to this post if you have tried the software but given up on it. If so, please tell me why.

I have created a poll to simplify responses.

Thanks!

Last edited by nmCollector; 11-25-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Had to reinstall and did not have the link, download etc to do so - so never reinstalled it from a few years ago
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Old 11-26-2014, 07:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
Had to reinstall and did not have the link, download etc to do so - so never reinstalled it from a few years ago
That's easy to fix! Here is the link to the CMP Edition of NM Collector Software. Scroll down to find the download links.

I will resend your activation when you tell me what email address (or possibly name) it was activated under.

Thanks,

Last edited by nmCollector; 11-28-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: removed duplicate name
Old 11-28-2014, 08:33 AM

Not a user of your software, but a point to note.
My company (fortune 250) has recently updated our software to a version without Java dependance.
One of the biggest issues the help desk was dealing with towards the end was Google Chrome would disable Java when it was installed by users.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:52 PM

Thumbs up Java Security Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Not a user of your software, but a point to note.
My company (fortune 250) has recently updated our software to a version without Java dependance.
One of the biggest issues the help desk was dealing with towards the end was Google Chrome would disable Java when it was installed by users.
Thanks for the pointer. It sounds like your company is moving away from java web apps (based on your reference to Google Chrome disabling Java as a problem). Many companies are moving away from Java components in web applications due to security issues with java in web browsers.

NM Collector Software is not a web application. You can disable Java in your web browser without affecting NM Collector Software. In fact, here are instructions for disabling Java in your web browser on Windows:

... you should ensure Java browser integration is disabled. This will prevent malicious websites from loading the Java browser plugin to silently install malware using one of the many Java vulnerabilities that regularly becomes exploited online.

First, open the Java Control Panel by pressing the Windows key, typing Java, and pressing Enter. (On Windows 8, you’ll need to select the Settings category after typing Java).

Click the Security tab and uncheck the Enable Java content in the browser checkbox. This will disable the Java plug-in in all browsers on your computer, although downloaded applications will still be able to use Java.
I invite everyone using NM Collector Software to verify this by disabling java browser integration. The only drawback to this is the only Java troubleshooting tools I can find need to have Java browser integration enabled to troubleshoot java desktop issues. However, once any Java desktop issues are resolved you can disable java browser integration again.

Last edited by nmCollector; 12-07-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarification