Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM

Default cosmoline and OD green park color

Has anyone here ever tried to coat down a newly parked M1 for a period of time and see if it starts turning green? Ive heard talk about this in the past and heard someone say after about six months it will begin to turn. Ive heard too that its the reaction between the cosmo and solvents that turns it green. I know this has probably been talked about on here before but was curious if anyone has tried it.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM

I had gotton a barreled receiver that was NOS. It was in that foil bag with the powdery stuff on it. The Part was a light grey. After getting the powder stuff off I slobered Breakfree on it because I had no other parts to makeup a rifle. I kept it for quite awhile and occasionally put more CLP on to be sure it had no issues because I was storing it in my shop unprotected from weather. Anyway when I got around to doing something with it it had change color to a darker greyish green.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM

My fresh park on my M14 circa 2005 was coated with Breakfree and soaked. Only shot it a few times and it sits in the safe oiled up. it turned a very nice green/black color. Same with my G1 FAL repark (circa 2003). Takes time, but it works.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:30 AM

Wow thats the first time ive heard about breakfree but i may give it a try. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 AM

I rub molly graphite grease into the park and get a nice green tint. I doesn't happen over night but it does work. Just thought I would ad this info.

"In life applied knowledge is wisdom, applied wisdom is enlightenment". Pick and choose your fights carefully.