Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2019, 12:25 PM

Will look forward to hearing what your .308 M1 does. Mine hasn’t even gotten processed yet, so I’ve got some time to see what people say, at least a week, I think.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:33 AM

I personally have not used it (I handled for my m1) but I have family that has used it in their M1. It shot average, nothing to brag about. It shot equal to hxp out of his gun. As one other has said, get the creedmoor stuff. Same price better quality. I'm going to get a few boxes at butner this year just to try it out.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MikeGolf View Post
Will look forward to hearing what your .308 M1 does. Mine hasnít even gotten processed yet, so Iíve got some time to see what people say, at least a week, I think.
So here is the CMP .308 M1 Special, unscientific results, I only had access to a 50 yard range during this visit, so take that for what it is worth. I used iron sights and 65 year old eyes. I fired using a front sandbag, off a shooting bench, I was using NRA SR-1C targets, so here we go:

The PPU 168 grn. Match ammo did not perform well and exhibited flattened primers. Felt recoil was the strongest with this round. I will not use this in the M1 again. (This functioned fine and was accurate in my SAI Scout.)

The Federal A76251M1A, did not perform well either. 16 rounds, 4X's, 8 10 ring, 4 9 ring. 9 rounds grouped at 1 3/4 inches, overall grouping at 3 1/2 inches. (None of my M1A's liked this.)

The Federal GM308M, 168 grn. Match did a lot better. 10 rounds, 5X's, 5 10 ring.
Over all grouping at 1 3/4 inches. (My M1A's like this.)

Federal/LC 7.62X51 NATO FMJ, M80, 149 grn., 8 rounds, 5X's, 3 10 ring. Overall grouping at 1 3/4 inches. (All my semi-auto rifles like this round.)

Saltech, Swiss Military Ball 7.62X51, 150 grn. FMJ. 8 rounds. 1X, 7 rounds touching the X ring shot, spread upward into the 10 ring. Total group size was 3/4 inch. (None of my M1A's liked this, but I bought it thinking it might do well in the CMP .308 Special and it did.)

Not teriffic shooting by any means, but I did everything the same with all the rounds, the results surprised me. The Federal/LC M80 shot as well as the Federal Match and the Saltech was the best performer.

When I get a chance to use a 100 yard range I will obviously get a truer picture of what this ammunition will do.

HTH.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
So here is the CMP .308 M1 Special, unscientific results, I only had access to a 50 yard range during this visit, so take that for what it is worth. I used iron sights and 65 year old eyes. I fired using a front sandbag, off a shooting bench, I was using NRA SR-1C targets, so here we go:

The PPU 168 grn. Match ammo did not perform well and exhibited flattened primers. Felt recoil was the strongest with this round. I will not use this in the M1 again. (This functioned fine and was accurate in my SAI Scout.)

The Federal A76251M1A, did not perform well either. 16 rounds, 4X's, 8 10 ring, 4 9 ring. 9 rounds grouped at 1 3/4 inches, overall grouping at 3 1/2 inches. (None of my M1A's liked this.)

The Federal GM308M, 168 grn. Match did a lot better. 10 rounds, 5X's, 5 10 ring.
Over all grouping at 1 3/4 inches. (My M1A's like this.)

Federal/LC 7.62X51 NATO FMJ, M80, 149 grn., 8 rounds, 5X's, 3 10 ring. Overall grouping at 1 3/4 inches. (All my semi-auto rifles like this round.)

Saltech, Swiss Military Ball 7.62X51, 150 grn. FMJ. 8 rounds. 1X, 7 rounds touching the X ring shot, spread upward into the 10 ring. Total group size was 3/4 inch. (None of my M1A's liked this, but I bought it thinking it might do well in the CMP .308 Special and it did.)

Not teriffic shooting by any means, but I did everything the same with all the rounds, the results surprised me. The Federal/LC M80 shot as well as the Federal Match and the Saltech was the best performer.

When I get a chance to use a 100 yard range I will obviously get a truer picture of what this ammunition will do.

HTH.
I just realized I can easily get the Federal GM locally, pretty easily, but to save money may start ordering it. Iíve also got quite a bit of the M80.

I realized today I also had quite a bit of Hornady .308 168 grain match. Itís the plain stuff not the ELD. Ever tried any of that in your scout or M1?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MikeGolf View Post
I just realized I can easily get the Federal GM locally, pretty easily, but to save money may start ordering it. Iíve also got quite a bit of the M80.

I realized today I also had quite a bit of Hornady .308 168 grain match. Itís the plain stuff not the ELD. Ever tried any of that in your scout or M1?
Sadly, no I have not. Should you get some good results from the Hornady .308 168 grn. Match in your Special or Scout, I would be interested in ordering some. Please let me know. Shared knowledge is well appreciated.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
Sadly, no I have not. Should you get some good results from the Hornady .308 168 grn. Match in your Special or Scout, I would be interested in ordering some. Please let me know. Shared knowledge is well appreciated.
I will. Interestingly, Hornady has changed the box cover; thought they had quit selling it, but they just changed the look. I had to look pretty closely to get the sku. I may get a couple newer boxes and try, and later compare with the older stuff.