Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquelch View Post
I guess I can settle for a FG. I really wanted a nice rifle, but I also know that I won't have an opportunity to visit the store so I have to trust someone else to pick it out, and Magna is heading there next week. A friend of mine told me not to get a FG, but if that's all that's there, then I don't have a choice except to wait until next time Magna heads to the South Store. And even then, there's no guarantee that the exact same thing won't happen, with only a bunch of FGs left in the store when he gets there.

I wish I was stationed somewhere in Alabama or Ohio!

There really nothing wrong with a Field Grade if picking one at the store, one of my best shooting rifles I hand picked at the North Store it was a WW2 SA 3.2 million SN nice finish with a NM match barrel plus a SA/GAW stock I was very happy with my pick that day.

Last edited by Co2Chief1947; 12-11-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 AM

Gotta remain positive FG's can be as nice as SG's never know what will be there. And if you were stationed there or near then you would be broke! lol
Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna's 85-86 View Post
Gotta remain positive FG's can be as nice as SG's never know what will be there.
I'm trying to . I assume you'll be a busy man on the phone on the 19th...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna's 85-86 View Post
Gotta remain positive FG's can be as nice as SG's never know what will be there. And if you were stationed there or near then you would be broke! lol
Most of the guns I hand picked (for myself) at the NS have been FGs...many of them are as nice, or better, than the SG, depending on what you're looking for.

Plenty of FGs with great barrels, and a much better chance of original/older parts and USGI wood with the FGs. Way too many of the SGs have had CMP wood and SA replacement barrels, for quite a while yet.

They may be dirtier, they may need a little more BLO, but the FGs are where the real gems are, in my opinion.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM

I'll jump on the Field Grade bandwagon. These were my last two Field Grade purchases from the North Store racks:

The first rifle is a Springfield Armory rebuild (marked on the receiver leg) with an outrageously striped stock, and the second rifle is a WWII rifle with lots of "correct" parts, including the barrel and an uncut oprod.

You can find some real gems in the Field Grade racks, and if they are there, Chris will find them for you!

Good Luck,

Tony
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
I'll jump on the Field Grade bandwagon. These were my last two Field Grade purchases from the North Store racks:

The first rifle is a Springfield Armory rebuild (marked on the receiver leg) with an outrageously striped stock, and the second rifle is a WWII rifle with lots of "correct" parts, including the barrel and an uncut oprod.

You can find some real gems in the Field Grade racks, and if they are there, Chris will find them for you!

Good Luck,

Tony

I'll take one of each of those !! Nice score.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
They may be dirtier, they may need a little more BLO, but the FGs are where the real gems are, in my opinion.
+1
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks for restoring some of my confidence guys! I was getting worried, this is my first M1, and now I am really happy that Chris is picking out my stuff!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Bummer, can i order a sg at the store to be shipped if i dont find one i like?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM

Yea Magna rocks ! My First "trip" with him as well - he is doing a great benefit for us as I would likely never get to a store being where I live in Colorado. From looking at his past picks, I don't have any worries. Can't wait to see what he finds next week!