Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman252 View Post
Sounds like you got really lucky finding a WW2 G
SG Winchester. Any idea when they might put those out again?
I think there may have been a couple SG WRA yesterday. Truly didn't look hard because that wasn't what I was there for. If you call the NS they will tell you if any are on the rack at that moment. Bob must have answered the phone 5 times while I was shootin the breeze with him yesterday. GG

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraaash View Post
Didn't end up going today, I think next Wednesday is the day, I've done a fair amount of home work but still feel a little lost, any last minute tips? Super appreciated
Here's a tip...GO!!!

The Staff will help...GO!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Relatively new the forum, so first off thanks for any feedback.

I'm also contemplating going tomorrow. Do they usually put new stock out each day? I'm interested only in a shooter, not picky about serial numbers. I have a couple of SA SG's I picked up last year that are in new wood and are beautiful. I know there are no SG's available now, but am intrigued with the idea of a decent RG and simply buying a new stock set. How difficult is it to fit into a new stock? I love the idea of a special, but the $$$ ....

I could also just mail order another SG - what is the current wait like?

Thanks again for any feedback.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergunnera8 View Post
Ouch...where's the love?
Bum rifle
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerboy View Post
I took the chance last Saturday and made the 2 hour trip down from Mich, and wasn't disappointed.
They had just put out a full rack of Winchester Service Grades that morning, and by the time I got there around 10am, there were only about half of them left.
So, I came away with a very nice WRA SG - with a 1.3M serial number receiver (May of 43), SA barrel from 1949 that measured a 1+/2, and an SA trigger group.
All dressed out in beautiful new CMP oiled walnut stock.
Wasn't exactly what I was looking for, and spent a little more than I had planned ($795 for the Winnie's), but came away very happy with the acquisition, especially after the tear-down inspection when I got it home. The mechs were all in tip-top shape, and many of the pieces look to be barely used!
Looking forward to taking it out to the range - once this cold snap breaks.
Bottom-line, you never know what's going to be there in front of you when you get buzzed in that door!
If you're within a decent drive radius, its at least a fun day trip.
Hit the Bob Evans in Oregon for a late breakfast with my son - and of course Cabellas in Dundee on our way back home.
All in all, a great day!
Waffle House > bob evens don't have the WH in Michigan
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromohio View Post
but am intrigued with the idea of a decent RG and simply buying a new stock set.
I love my RG that I bought in October. shoots just fine. if money is tight, hold off on a new CMP stock set until you are sure that you need one. you'll need some money for ammo too.

I thought I needed a new stock too, but my issue turned out to be worn trigger guard lugs, not a worn-out stock.

others here have said - always go into the store with an open mind. gives you less of a chance for disappointment.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Send it to me first!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Also - there seems to be one or two gents that are on-hand to help and advise if you have any questions.
The employees are helpful, and I also had the pleasure of meeting Chuck out on the floor - thought he was an employee of the CMP (maybe the apron with all the gauges, lights, and tools in the chest pockets threw me!), turns out to be just another M1 lover with nothing better to do on a Saturday morning than help out his fellow enthusiasts!
He guided me through several of my "short list" picks that I had set aside, and helped me pick a winner for what I was looking for.

As others have said: Just Go, and bring an open mind and an open wallet - and you won't come away disappointed!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromohio View Post
I know there are no SG's available now, but am intrigued with the idea of a decent RG and simply buying a new stock set. How difficult is it to fit into a new stock? I love the idea of a special, but the $$$ ....
The Rack Grade that I examined on Wednesday were nice, for a Rack Grade. There were a couple with low barrel readings, but most swallowed a muzzle gauge and had throat erosion readings over 5. The could be good shooters, but they've seen a lot of use.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
The Rack Grade that I examined on Wednesday were nice, for a Rack Grade. There were a couple with low barrel readings, but most swallowed a muzzle gauge and had throat erosion readings over 5. The could be good shooters, but they've seen a lot of use.
As Radionicist says..If you are buying a RG for a shooter, take a gauge down the line and gauge muzzles first. Of the 30 or so HRA they had yesterday I grabbed the only 3 that were 2 or under. For a shooter I would be a little worried if it gauged much higher

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer