Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 12:05 AM

Default Would you drive 7 hrs (454Mi) for a Garand?

I really wanted a Springfield Armory M1 but in January they went Out of Stock, I got the Switch option but for some reason it never went through. so now I am back to square one.

I really Promised My Son that We would have one before the Appleseed event in March but it's not looking like it's going to happen so I was planning to Drive from Virginia (DC Area) to North Store.. Would this be a wasted trip?

It's 454 Miles, in a 2005 Mustang GT350 Performance built car (14 MPG)
7 hours up and 7 hours back (900 Miles total) 200.00 in gas
* Smith and Wesson M&P 15 (Limited Patriot Series).................................................. ..* Ruger SR9
Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 AM

Yeah, take your son along, great road trip and bonding. Will be a trip you will talk about later I bet.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:18 AM

14 hour round trip? Heck no!
That would require at least 2 rifles.
And some ammo....
Old 02-08-2014, 12:28 AM

If you want a HRA SGS . I would make the trip . Buy some ammo too while your there. I wouldn't make a trip for a Field Grade, because they are hit and miss. Call the day before , right before closing time and see what they have in stock. That 's what I do, I have a 5and a 1/2 hr trip, 13 round trip because of traffic on the way home. $150 gas and turnpike fees!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 AM

I've done a 14hr round trip to the north store and I'm going to do it again one day.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 AM

Yes have done it twice but you have to make your trip count, one trip in fall 2012 picked up a SA FG, SG and a M1D. 2nd trip fall 2013 along with a buddy from NVA picked up a M1C we split the trip cost and a room then drove back next day. Room was cheap and you will enjoy the trip more with you son. 2 weeks later on a trip to NEBRASKA came within in a hour of store so had to make a slight detour to check stock found 2 consecutive low SN Kimber M82'S that I couldn't pass up. While there I picked out a M1D for a forum member. I honestly wouldn't make the trip for a SGS as they all are nice If the Services grades return yes. What I would do is post on the forum here for someone who would pick one for you on a trip to either store, I have had that done 3 times at both stores. There are lots of forum members in NVA and I am a hour west in the mountains, I am still trying to justify a SS trip which is a little further away but would like to visit some day? Everyone should visit a store at least once if at all possible it is quite a experience. Send me a email if you have any questions on a trip or using a buyer at the stores. Also if you make the trip and pick one out its cheaper to ship home at $24.95 than paying the 7% sales tax
Rich
Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryPatrick View Post
Yeah, take your son along, great road trip and bonding. Will be a trip you will talk about later I bet.
I agree 100%.

I have made road trips for various things in the past with my son/s since they were little, they remember everything and tell me the trips are the high points of their lives.

Do it man.

WC
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 AM

I am in VA also and have been wanting to make the trip also, just couldn't find the time.
I take it you are looking at the Black Creek Event. I am next to Quantico, are you local?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 AM

I make the VA trip all the time from Cleveland ( GF ). Not a bad trip. I'd combine it with "other" to make the trip more enjoyable, not that it isn't a real gas to roam through the NS. Fishing on the big lake is sketchy at the moment, but if you drive a little further - first exit in Indiana, you'll be at the home of several darned good museums: The Auburn/Cord/Duesenburg Museum, the Nat. Auto and Truck Museum, and the Ford V8 Foundation and Museum. There's others, too. Much else to do between VA and "there" too. Heck, make the most of a road trip. Want to economize - rent a car for the weekend. Good weekender deals out there - arrange a rental through COSTCO or whatever. It's a good trip. Have the kid do a "what else is there to do" search. Road trip with the son is a gift to him in the future. I gladly get to look back at things I did with my dad back when he was alive.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:17 AM

Yes, I am thinking of going 17 hours to the SS as I already made the 6 hour drive one way to the NS.
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"