Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015, 04:58 AM

Default PPU 30-06 Garand Loading / AEC clips

I've read some comments over the last several months concerning PPU Prvi Partizan 150 grain FMJ 30-06 M1 Garand loading ammunition and figured I would pass some info.

In 2010 I was asked to test Prvi's 30-06 M1 loading. Their original 30-06 150 grain offering is a good product, but produced somewhat elevated pressures in an M1 due to slower burn rate of the powder being used. While the pressure is not dangerously excessive in an M1, PPU like other domestic ammunition companies, addressed this pressure issue by developing a round that duplicated the original 30-06 M2 GI spec loading with a powder similar to IMR 4895. Heavy projectiles and slow burn rate powder produces high gas pressure at the M1 gas port and that is not a good thing.

My shop personal and yours truly have fired thousands of rounds of PPUs 30-06 M1 loading through our rebuilt M1s and customers rifles and NEVER had a FTF, pierced primer, or any other issue in properly timed, head spaced, and "in-spec" component M1 rifles. It's a very good product with high quality control and we use it exclusivily in our test and function firing.

In late 2013 I noticed that PPU 30-06 became difficult to load in our most recent shipment of AEC clips direct from Aggressive. Never had this problem before and only the PPU ammo was giving us a hard time. HXP, LC, and other assorted rounds loaded OK. Aggressive was contacted and the investigation started. Long story short...AEC asked us to return our recent shipment, re-calibrated & adjusted tooling, and replaced it with new production clips. Problem solved. Clips in question were marked AEC 3 and I suspect CMP also received some of these clips with their "CMP" logo marking. Both Aggressive and Prvi Partizan are quick to address any issues and customer concerns.

I may add that PPU is not a private company but operated by the Serbian government and has been producing ammunition since 1928. They supply many countries with small arms Mil-spec ammuniton and assorted ordnance, and the US market accounts for a small fraction of their yearly production. Clemenza

Last edited by Clemenza; 03-28-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 AM

Thank you for the insite into the original problem and Prvi. In general.
M1 shooters would sure miss the 30-06 M1 offering if we couldn't get it anymore.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
Clips in question were marked AEC 3 and I suspect CMP also received some of these clips with their "CMP" logo marking. Both Aggressive and Prvi Partizan are quick to address any issues and customer concerns.
May explain the problem I had with CMP clips + PPU recently. HXP in CMP clips loaded fine. PPU in USGI clip loaded fine. PPU in CMP clips would "bulge" out, for lack of a better term. I.e cartridges tight at the back end in the clip and fanned out somewhat at the business end. Was this your experience also?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:28 PM

That is exactly the issue I had. I just marked the clips that wouldn't hold PPU properly and keep them loaded with HXP. Some older clips I found at a gun show hold PPU perfectly. As I said on another thread about this,I will continue to buy PPU. It shoots fine. Thanks,Tad

Last edited by Whaler13; 03-30-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:41 AM

Now I'm understanding why my PPU reloads didn't load well with the AEC clips into my Garand. I was double checking prior to the GCA Garand Match last Saturday.

Switched to different clips and had no problems loading the clips into the Garand.

I would have been upset (with myself) had I not checked and then blown the rapid fire prone reload.

"Life is Good!"
Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 PM

Not to beat an old thread to death,but last week I ordered 10 AEC clips as a what the heck add on to an order - they work perfectly with PPU. Whatever problem they had seems to be cleared up.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 PM

I quit using the AEC clips, I had about a 50% failure rate with HXP ammo
Old 10-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
I quit using the AEC clips, I had about a 50% failure rate with HXP ammo
same here
My AEC clips will either cause a jam on the 7th round or fail to eject when empty. once I switched to GI clips, all these problems went away. All mine are marked AEC 3 for the record. Would be great to hear if they were improved and fixed these issues.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:37 AM

Post is a few weeks old, but I've also had occasional 7th round stoppage with some of my AEC 3 clips with R-P cases. I didn't realize it could be the clips.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:52 PM

Bumping this thread since I had some 7th round feeding problems today when using PPU Garand loads and AEC3 clips. What's the consensus on the new clips? Are they better than the AEC clips from a couple of years ago? There seemed to be some indication that Aggressive Engineering fixed the problem back in 2014 or so. My AEC clips are from 2012, give or take.