Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2016, 11:29 PM

It seems that the PPU M-1 Garand ammunition that I recently purchased all had the small groove extractor cut similar to pre 1970 HXP and earlier USGI rounds. These rounds do not seem to load reliably in any en blocs I have unless they are USGI, WW II era and Post WW II era or the recently made AEC 3 en bloc clips.

It will not work at all with some CMP 3 , JMO's, or L&H en blocs.

The larger extractor groove cut ammo (NATO), post 1970 does work in the CMP 3, JMO and L&H en blocs for me.

HTH.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:25 AM

One problem I found was attempting to get the case head sitting down on the base of the clip. Causes the rib protrusion on the sides of the clip to ride up in the forward angled surface of the exteactor groove and force the clip open. There must be a gap between case head and clip base on the small extractor groove cases, about 0.05 inch or more.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
It seems that the PPU M-1 Garand ammunition that I recently purchased all had the small groove extractor cut similar to pre 1970 HXP and earlier USGI rounds. These rounds do not seem to load reliably in any en blocs I have unless they are USGI, WW II era and Post WW II era or the recently made AEC 3 en bloc clips.

It will not work at all with some CMP 3 , JMO's, or L&H en blocs.

The larger extractor groove cut ammo (NATO), post 1970 does work in the CMP 3, JMO and L&H en blocs for me.

HTH.
Is it safe to assume if I order some AEC clips off of Amazon today they'll work fine with PPU as opposed to the AEC clips I ordered 4-5 years ago that are giving me problems? Just want to be sure before I put in an order.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:32 PM

IJM,

I have purchased the AEC's in bulk from www.ammogarand.com in the past year, quite a few actually, when priced in 100 packages without shipping it comes to $.90 cents an en bloc from them. I order from them because I am guaranteed to get the specific en blocs that I want. All of them work fine and accept both the small and large grooved extractor cut ammunition.

There were problems with some older AEC en blocs, but that problem has been corrected. (BTW, I do not work for them.)

HTH.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Thanks. It sounds like they revamped their process.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:30 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I have run into a similar problem recently. Just got an M1 CMP Special and with AEC or CMP enblocs and PPU ammo it won't load an 8 round clip. It works fine with 7 or less, but with 8 it's very difficult to get the clip into the magazine and then the op rod handle has to be very forcibly shoved. Even then it sometimes fails to load. I haven't tried any other ammo with it yet.

I bought the AEC en blocs from eBay about two weeks ago.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 PM

If the extractor groove doesn't match the profile of the clip; example JMO clips with USGI brass below it'll be tough to get the enbloc loaded then you'll have issue loading the rifle like you describe.