Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM

Default Federal American Eagle M1 & M1A Ammunition

I did a search and didn't really see any one talking about Federal's M1 (AE3006M1) and M1A (A76251M1A) American Eagle brand ammo.

They use completely different bullets the M1 a 150gr FMJ and the M1A a 168gr Open tip match.

Does anyone use either for their M1s or M1As and like or dislike it? If so, does it shoot well in regards to functioning and/or accuracy? AE is not exactly match ammo, but sometimes it can be pretty accurate all things considered.

I have a 308Special on order and was thinking about using that M1A ammo in it. Anyone tried that in a .308 Garand?

Is the M1 ammo the same was what Federal used to sell as "M2 ball" back in the day? I remember being able to get those in the 90s.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MikeGolf View Post
I did a search and didn't really see any one talking about Federal's M1 (AE3006M1) and M1A (A76251M1A) American Eagle brand ammo.

They use completely different bullets the M1 a 150gr FMJ and the M1A a 168gr Open tip match.

Does anyone use either for their M1s or M1As and like or dislike it? If so, does it shoot well in regards to functioning and/or accuracy? AE is not exactly match ammo, but sometimes it can be pretty accurate all things considered.

I have a 308Special on order and was thinking about using that M1A ammo in it. Anyone tried that in a .308 Garand?

Is the M1 ammo the same was what Federal used to sell as "M2 ball" back in the day? I remember being able to get those in the 90s.
Take advantage of CMPs 1/2 price creedmoor ammo deal for your recent order of M1 Garand.
For what i see Fed M1/M1a ammo sell for you might as well by creedmoor with the lapua bullet and brass
Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 AM

I have fired the Federal A76251M1A ammunition in two different M1A's, a Standard and a Scout. I found that the accuracy was not all that much to brag about. It functioned just fine, but was no where near as accurate as the Federal GM308M Match ammunition. For the difference in price, I will only be buying their Match ammunition in the future.

I have also had pretty good luck with the PPU Match Line .308 Winchester, 168 grn. Match ammunition. It is pretty close to the Federal Match ammuniton, but at a cheaper price.

I use regular M80 for plinking and have no problems using it in my M1A's or my CMP .308 Special.

Believe it or not, I just have not fired any Match or A76251M1A grade ammunition in my CMP .308 Special, but will give it a try on my next outing. I have not used any Federal ammo in my 30.06 Garands.

Last edited by GM1MAN; 03-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
I have fired the Federal A76251M1A ammunition in two different M1A's, a Standard and a Scout. I found that the accuracy was not all that much to brag about. It functioned just fine, but was no where near as accurate as the Federal GM308M Match ammunition. For the difference in price, I will only be buying their Match ammunition in the future.

I have also had pretty good luck with the PPU Match Line .308 Winchester, 168 grn. Match ammunition. It is pretty close to the Federal Match ammuniton, but at a cheaper price.

I use regular M80 for plinking and have no problems using it in my M1A's or my CMP .308 Special.

Believe it or not, I just have not fired any Match or A76251M1A grade ammunition in my CMP .308 Special, but will give it a try on my next outing. I have not used any Federal ammo in my 30.06 Garands.
Good advice and info. For personal reasons, I will never use PPU.

When you say M80, do you mean the Federal XM80? I have quite a stock of it. I asked about the M1A ammo as the PX here carries it at a fair price. I picked up three boxes of it the other day and thought Id try it.

When I was in Germany, I could only get Amax and really liked it. I even hunted with it. 165/168 gr bullets are really my favorite for .30 caliber. The Germans like heavy bullets; I prefer mid weights.

I used to use that Federal M2 ball in the 90s, but it went away after awhile. I was thinking that Federal might have resurrected it under the AE brand. I prefer not to order ammo, but probably should just breakdown and order from estore.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Good advice and info. For personal reasons, I will never use PPU.

When you say M80, do you mean the Federal XM80? I have quite a stock of it. I asked about the M1A ammo as the PX here carries it at a fair price. I picked up three boxes of it the other day and thought I’d try it.

When I was in Germany, I could only get Amax and really liked it. I even hunted with it. 165/168 gr bullets are really my favorite for .30 caliber. The Germans like heavy bullets; I prefer mid weights.

I used to use that Federal “M2 ball” in the 90s, but it went away after awhile. I was thinking that Federal might have resurrected it under the AE brand. I prefer not to order ammo, but probably should just breakdown and order from estore.
I have used LC/Federal M80, I also shoot HXP 1983/1988, (PPU-sorry), Hirtenberger 1975/1980, Malaysian, and ZQI. I order from CMP E Store, but also from on line sellers like Sgammo. The nice thing about SGammo is that they publish reviews about the different brands of M80/.308 Win. that they sell, which can help in gathering info about the results others have had with the different types of ammunition.

Last edited by GM1MAN; 03-20-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I have used LC/Federal M80, I also shoot HXP 1983/1988, (PPU-sorry), Hirtenberger 1975/1980, Malaysian, and ZQI. I order from CMP E Store, but also from on line sellers like Sgammo. The nice thing about SGammo is that they publish reviews about the different brands of M80/.308 Win. that they sell, which can help in gathering info about the results others have had with the different types of ammunition.
I have ordered from SGammo too. It comes fast.

Curious what your scout likes. I have one in wood and haven't even fired it yet. I wanted to try that Federal AE M1A stuff, but I also have quite a bit the Federal GM308M in my ammo locker. I can find that locally easier even than the XM80 (all the chairborne ranger/preppers buy up all the M80 as soon as it gets in stock). I think that's what I'd like to zero my M1A with.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:20 AM

My Scout does not like the Federal AE M1A ammo, but likes the Federal and PPU Match. Believe it or not, it also likes the PPU M80 145 grn. stuff.

I have shot the Scout both with the Walnut stock and the FDE SAI composite stock. I removed the front handguard and scope mount as I did not care for the front end weight. I use a Bassett Low Picatinny Mount with a Vortex 2X7 Scope on it.

It is a fun rifle to shoot. The benchmark ammo, IMHO, is the Federal Match to establish just how accurate the rifle is. That is, of course, if I am doing what I should be doing behind the trigger on any given day.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
My Scout does not like the Federal AE M1A ammo, but likes the Federal and PPU Match. Believe it or not, it also likes the PPU M80 145 grn. stuff.

I have shot the Scout both with the Walnut stock and the FDE SAI composite stock. I removed the front handguard and scope mount as I did not care for the front end weight. I use a Bassett Low Picatinny Mount with a Vortex 2X7 Scope on it.

It is a fun rifle to shoot. The benchmark ammo, IMHO, is the Federal Match to establish just how accurate the rifle is. That is, of course, if I am doing what I should be doing behind the trigger on any given day.
I believe PPU is fine ammo, it's where it comes from I have issue with.

I decided to have my Scout stay wood, and keep the forward mount; I put a Aimpoint micro on it. That makes me good for 100 meters (or more) easily. I'm going to get an M1A/M14 later and scope it as soon as I figure out what I want. After a lot of deliberation and research, I may just go with an M1A loaded. It may not be the best, but all things considered, I think it will be plenty good for me. I like those medium weight barrels and don't get too wrapped around the axle about forged/cast receivers and USGI parts and such.

I agree with your statement that the Federal GM is a good benchmark. I just wondered if it was doing well in your Scout. You just never know how a chamber/firearm is going to like/dislike a particular ammunition, of course. Before I get any more of the AE M1A stuff, I'll try it out and save enough to try it with my .308 M1 when it gets here, too.

Thanks for the eval, it helps to know what to expect!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 AM

762x51 xm80 in my 16" Bula Delta Elite likes the mid weight.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I believe PPU is fine ammo, it's where it comes from I have issue with.

I decided to have my Scout stay wood, and keep the forward mount; I put a Aimpoint micro on it. That makes me good for 100 meters (or more) easily. I'm going to get an M1A/M14 later and scope it as soon as I figure out what I want. After a lot of deliberation and research, I may just go with an M1A loaded. It may not be the best, but all things considered, I think it will be plenty good for me. I like those medium weight barrels and don't get too wrapped around the axle about forged/cast receivers and USGI parts and such.

I agree with your statement that the Federal GM is a good benchmark. I just wondered if it was doing well in your Scout. You just never know how a chamber/firearm is going to like/dislike a particular ammunition, of course. Before I get any more of the AE M1A stuff, I'll try it out and save enough to try it with my .308 M1 when it gets here, too.

Thanks for the eval, it helps to know what to expect!
No problem, I couldn't agree with you more about your thinking. I have had no concerns about the cast/forged issue either. I totally understand the PPU thing.

If the creek don't rise, I am going to try both Federal rounds in my .308 Special today at the range, I'll let you know what happens.