Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Default ammo for my new Garand

I get my Garand tomorrow and need some ammo. I want to learn how to reload, but that wont happen until spring probably. Where kind I get a little bit of ammo for not much? Can I get some from Wal-Mart? I know I have to get some special kind. How do I know if it is the special kind?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Sit down, take a couple deep breaths, and relax. And no, you can not find ammo for your Garand at Wally World. You need ammo that is loaded for the Garand. If you can't find someone that has the ammo sold by the CMP, find someone that is a GOOD & EXPERIENCED reloader for the M1 and get a few rounds from them. Key words here are, for the M1.
Best of luck!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Your rifle was designed to use US military specification ammunition. Some commercial ammunition may produce gas system pressures that can damage your rifle. It is wise to avoid all commercial ammunition that is not marked specifically for the M1.

Federal and Hornady make M1-specific ammunition. You may have to order it, as many retail outlets do not carry it. (Sales volume is probably very small.) Try Midway or Graf and Sons on the Internet. Other places probably also have it. Prepare for sticker shock.

Another alternative is an adjustable gas plug. I have no experience with these, but others will help you.

Enjoy shooting your piece of history.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 01-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Sit down, take a couple deep breaths, and relax. And no, you can not find ammo for your Garand at Wally World. You need ammo that is loaded for the Garand. If you can't find someone that has the ammo sold by the CMP, find someone that is a GOOD & EXPERIENCED reloader for the M1 and get a few rounds from them. Key words here are, for the M1.
Best of luck!
After a couple of bad experiences, one of which involved a damaged gun, I adopted a rule of never shooting someone else's handloads.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to MajWatz

Cabela's carries M1 specific Federal and Hornady. This is at their store by me.
Senior Member (1572) of old CMP forum since 31 JUL 2006
M1CC - Member No: 239
GCA - Member No: 12919

NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, ROA Life Member, AUSA Life Member, MOAA Life Member, American Legion
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/Range Safety Officer
Texas CHL/LTC
Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Default this topic comes up every week

GO TO WALMART or CABELAS. Buy some REMINGTON 150 grain soft point hunting ammo. It shoots fine. Also good is Federal Eagle, or if you have big bucks, Gold Medal Match ammo. All the Prvi Yugo stuff I have encountered also seems OK. Black Hills is excellent too, but usually unavailable.

NONE of the many various types of commercial ammo I have fired over 25 years has caused any problems in my M1s.

In canada, the ONLY choice people apparently have up there is reloading or commercial ammo as GI ball isn't available.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughUno View Post
NONE of the many various types of commercial ammo I have fired over 25 years has caused any problems in my M1s.
And I've gone out in thunder storms and never got struck by lightning. So, is it a good idea? No, and neither is using commercial .30-06 unless you know that they are using a suitable powder that doesn't generate too high of port pressure.

Don
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM

+1 Don, Orion 7 had told me "Don't Risk it!"....

I HAVE gotten hit by lightning once so far in my life.

But haven't won the lottery yet.

You want some real M2 ball.
You can find some on Gunbroker.
You can also look around locally for the new Federal American Eagle stuff loaded just for the Garand. Or try and find it on line. And sometimes folks are selling it on Gunbroker as well.

The Federal / American Eagle stock number is AE3006M1
and the boxes look like this..

Don't let a gun shop talk you into some other Fed / AE stuff that has almost the same stock number but different suffix..
You want AE3006M1 , not AE3006xx (xx being other loads of AE 30-06).

Last edited by ramit; 01-06-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Whatever you decide to feed your new M1--read the CMP Booklet that comes with it and GREASE the rifle properly before (NOT AFTER) you fire it. Good Shooting.......
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Check the Estore and buy the Hornady 30-06 CMP offers. Probably cheaper through the CMP than you will find elsewhere. Shoot a little of it now to get you through until the new shipment of HXP comes in and save the rest for match ammo or when you want to impress someone with tighter than mil spec groups.