Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM

The HXP at GB is cheaper than the Hornady by far, and can be had from a reseller in a few days.

CMP Hornady, while great stuff, will take a month or two to get.

The AE3006M1 price ranges, can be less expensive or the same price as the CMP Hornady.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM

Default for 35.00 you can shoot ANY 30.06 ammo on the planet

If you have ANY concerns about shooting commercial ammo (the stuff that hundreds of thousands of people have shot MILLIONS and MILLIONS of rounds of in their DCM/CMP/Blue Sky etc. M1 Garands becuase they never heard "expert" say "never shoot any commercial ammo, it will blow up in your rifle etc."), simply buy an adjustable gas screw like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=412046

OR, if the commerciaL ammo you buy at Cabelas feeds fine, and EJECTS NORMALY the emplty brass approximately at "4: Oclock" and say within 4-10 feet away, you will be fine without the gas screw since that is what the adjustable screw allows you to do , but you save your 35 bucks.

Again, there are several types of commercial ammo that I know don't have any ill effects (Igman, Prvi, Rem Green Box 150 or 165s, Fed. GMM, Amer. Eagle, Black-Hills, etc.). Obviusly, without the gas screw you should not buy any "magnum" or hyper-velocity new types of stuff.

Last edited by HughUno; 01-07-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

IME, both the Schuster and the McCan adjustable gas plugs are worth the money , even with ammo that's close to USGI milspec . Garand parts prices have exploded over the last 10 years.
Reducing the speed and violence of cycling reduces parts wear and extends brass life. I own one Schuster & 3 McCans.
YMMV.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 AM

I don't think anyone said it will blow up.
Never heard that.

Just that these "experts" that have worked on many garands for the last 30 years, warn of hurting items such as the oprod. "the possibility" ... never heard anyone talk fire and brimstone.

Take your chances as you find from your experience.

I've already have been hit by lightning.