Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Default South Store 5 July 2012

I went down to the South Store today. When the door was unlocked at 0800(ish) there were four of us going in - all regulars.

They have re-stocked some Service Grade Springfields - about 25-30 were on the rack. A very few had CMP birch, a few had CMP walnut, the rest had USGI wood - very nice in the main.

Plenty of HRA Service Grades; they also had SA and HRA Field Grades.

Tony started at one end of the SA SGs, I started at the other. I found two late war with correct barrels, one 2.2 mil with a SA/EMcF stock (replacement barrel), an absolutely beautiful CMP walnut stocked 6 digit with a near new VAR barrel, and a 5.9 mil with an SA '44 barrel (go figure). Tony found, I believe, at least a couple keepers.

The 5.9 went back on the rack, I kept one of the late SGs with the correct barrels, and sent the rest to a friend. Given that the main reason for going was to shop for him, I feel I made out pretty well.

Two HRAs with LMR barrels were found; both were bought.

They had some anomalous ammo behind the counter - British .303 with WW II headstamps. There were two boxes of 240; I bought one. They also had eight rounds of 8mm with black tips; I bought them as well. Given that it is all corrosive, I will probably keep it/pass it on for displays. at $0.30/round it was an easy buy.

Plenty of M1D in all flavors; some newly stocked M1Cs, again in all flavors. About 10 Krags, but they didn't look very well.

A rack of M1 barreled receivers; a few Mann Accuracy devices and a few M1903 and M1903A3 barreled receivers. In the case were bare receivers - M1 and M1903 (almost if not all low numbers).

They have in stock the CMP marked enblocs - 25 for $20.

All in all a good day at the store, but as always not really enough time.

"Life is Good!"
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Nice to see SA SGs back on the racks. I'm sure lots of folks will be quite happy to see that. Nice report.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the report, sounds like you came away with a better feel for the store than another member who visted today.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
I kept one of the late SGs with the correct barrels
Good for you steelap, the WWII original bbl/recvr combos are my favorates, be they FGs or SGs!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM

That is really cool that you found a SA/EMcF stock. Was the wood in good condition?
Thanks for the report.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 PM

I'm headed over in the morning, any decent SA SG's left with possibly WW2 dated receivers? How about VAR barrels, see anymore of those hanging around?

I drove 10 hours today so I am looking forward to it. Glad to hear that they put some more out on the rack.

Kindest Regards, Stonewall 06
Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Freeman View Post
That is really cool that you found a SA/EMcF stock. Was the wood in good condition?
The stock was in great shape - but the cartouche was very, very faint. You could see some of the outline, and the SA; needed to use some oil and a light to bring out the EMcF. That stock and rifle went to my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall 06 View Post
I'm headed over in the morning, any decent SA SG's left with possibly WW2 dated receivers?
Somewhere around half of the SA SGs were sold yesterday by 1015. Hopefully Leon re-stocked for today! There were still some very nice ones when I left the store, but no WWII with correct barrels, as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall 06 View Post
How about VAR barrels, see anymore of those hanging around?
I found and sent off a six digit with a great VAR barrel and beautiful CMP wood. There was another still there when I left.

Had I not budget constraints, I could and would have bought at least three more rifles. As it was, I bought only one for myself. A very nice selection yesterday.

"Life is Good!"