Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Default You Can Take the South Store Smell With You

I was in the SS on Thursday. A big thanks to Leon and others for a great visit, as usual...I used a big piece of brown paper towel to wipe all the cosmo off my hands after looking at the Garands and bayonets. Some how it ended up in the car. Picked it up today after returning to Lakeland Fl and the smell was intoxicatingly overwhelming. Hard to take it away from my nose. I guess it will have to suffice till Fedex gets here on Tuesday...The pickins in the store were rather slim compared to many visits over the last few years. I think the store had been very busy on Wednesday as a result of the MVPA convention in Huntsville, which I attended. There were about 15 to 20 Krags in rather poor shape, for their grade. Screwed together stocks, missing parts etc. I talked myself into buying one that had white painted wood and black painted metal. If it's like one I got earlier this year I'll be happy. At $400, even if it's nice, it won't be a "great"deal, but I'll be happy. No SA Service grades. Quite a few H&R SG's, all pretty nice. I bought one with Excellent original metal and a new Walnut stock, a really sharp looking gun. Another H&R I picked out with a GI stock and I'm now at my yearly limit. Lots of Field Grades, M1C's and D's (mostly mixmasters), no 1917's. It pays to read these reports, sometimes the store is "loaded" and you can't get there fast enough...My fiancee came with me and, after hearing about CMP for many years, has now experienced it. (Leon came up and told her that for every gun I buy she gets to go to the jewelry store and buy something, thanks Leon)...The Military Vehicle Preservation Association annual convention in Huntsville was good. Picked up a few parts for current and future projects. Lots of restored vehicles to look at. The had a tour of the Anniston Army Depot that I hear was outstanding. Lots of vehicles of all kinds that were being refurbished. Also lots of firearms. M2HB's (no matter how hard they try that gun will never be replaced, it is un-upgradeable), a huge amount of M16's and M9's...Thats about all. 25 hours in the car, over 4 days, and were still engaged. That's a good thing.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 PM

After all that and your still engaged? A military Vehicle convention, looking at a lot of guns old and new, and you bought two rifles? and 25 hours in a car over 4 days?
Dude what are you thinking?Get off your tail and marry her, shes a keeper.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:04 PM

I know what you mean about taking the smell with you. My son and I were there on that Wednesday, and took the smell with us with the guns we took home. The rental car we drove up there didn't have a trunk big enough for all three, so we had one on the back seat, and it just happen to be the SG HRA that I have now named "The Cosmoline Queen". The cosmoline smell creeped out of the case and lingered in the car for the whole trip back to Texas. I suspect the rental car place had to air out that car after we returned it.

I didn't realize there was a MVPA convention around there until I asked around after I saw a beautifully restored jeep in the parking lot of the hotel we were at. The best part was the sign on the passenger side that said to the effect "Unless you are NUDE, do not learn on this military vehicle". I was trying to convence my son to strip down and hop up there.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 AM

I have that smell captured!! Its in my safe with all the CMP rifles and carbines. Cosmoline, grease, oils and canvas. We have an surplus store about 20 miles away that comes close.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Interesting about the tour of the Anniston Army Depot.
That had to be something to see!
Was that just this weekend or is it a reoccuring thing?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 PM

This from last April 18th visit to SS. Stick your head in one of the rifle cases or one of the green rifle bags and breath deep. Watch the video.
And Dammit, don't get on me for calling the 1917 a P17, it was a joke between me and some friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i-S_...ature=youtu.be

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA

Last edited by J.R.2009; 07-01-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovate7 View Post
My fiancee came with me and, after hearing about CMP for many years, has now experienced it. [snip] Thats about all. 25 hours in the car, over 4 days, and were still engaged. That's a good thing.
Women like that are called keepers. I'm not kidding!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 AM

Well, so far I'm on the hook for a food dehydrater, ice cream churn that goes in the freezer and one of those rotating waffle makers. Judy went to culinary school and likes to cook. Poor me, having to eat all the the results of these new gadgets...I just "won" an M35A2C and an M925A1 on GL, no telling what these will cost me.