Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM

I just got mine from LAX Ammo, I just checked and they are out of stock too.

GuapoPogi
Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken792 View Post
Noncorrosive based on what my friend fired.

We also chronographed eight shots out of his rack grade with an average of 2784 FPS, max spread of 84 FPS, and standard deviation of 29.19 FPS.
Good decent ammo from these countries, especially from the ones that got assistance in quality control from Great Britain, the US, and Germany. I find ammo from the 70s almost always shoots decent with never more than maybe an occasional very slight hangfire. It is late 60s and earlier where you get bad corrosive primers with really bad hangfires (from .303 and other calibers). Stick with 70s and newer and you are almost always good to go (except for maybe Comm-block). Best of all, a lot of ammo snobs won't touch it, especially if it's Berdan primed, and that keeps the prices dirt cheap. I snap that stuff up and have fun while saving a ton.

I have some Pakistan Military Surplus 7.62x51mm that is L2A2 British spec. Britain was assisting them back in the late 60s till the early 80s. Good shooting stuff. Every bit as good as Malaysian surplus. I have dates of 1975, 77, and a bit of 79. All non-corrosive, with no hangfires, that go bang every single time. I still clean very very well though, as though it is corrosive when the range session is over, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by Professional Amateur; 05-22-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:30 PM

Ian at Forgotten Weapons did an eval on the surplus Ethiopian ammunition.

30-06: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0umlHpEzpQ

7.62 NATO: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8gO39Lxpb8
Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 AM

Default Ethiopian 30-06

Just received a can of Ethiopian 30-06 and thought I would try it in my 03-A3. Well, big surprise when it would not chamber. I did remove the striker assembly and ran a round into the chamber. No-go. Actually, it would make a decent No-go gauge. Has anybody run into this? I tried one rifle and may try my other 03-A3. Any comments? Thanks, guys.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:40 PM

Try this link

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ight=Ethiopian
Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 PM

I shot a Match on Saturday and fired some 40 rounds of modified Ethiopian ammo. I need to add there is a very good video on You Tube about this Ethiopian ammo. It tested out at around 3000 fps as-issued. This is hot and not for my Garands. I found the rounds were long would not chamber in my 03-A3 and I was forced to do some tedious labor. I pulled the bullets and ran the cases through my Hornandy X dies. I loaded 45 grains of as-issued powder into the case now sporting Winny primers. I seated the 151 gn. as-issued bullet and was done. I found the loading was hot and accuracy fair/not good. This is a lot of effort to get fair results. Also, after cleaning the cases I discovered 2 cases had small holes in them and had to be discarded. Please note, 2 case failures out of 40 cases is not good at all. I would not run this stuff in a Garand, so guys need to be careful with this ammo.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:57 PM

Thanks for that report, I’ve been wondering about it. I guess gone are the days of any good and cheap surplus 06. Good thing I still have a few cases of LC left