Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Default Would a large wheel EMcF have a straight clip latch cutout?

Found a stock at a gunshow last weekend, this thing has REALLY been there, done that, lots of bullet dimples, and a few gouges. serif P, VERY faint large ordinance wheel and box outline of cartouche with some letter remnants, one appears to be an F, no rebuild stamps. This thing is really dirty so I am doing light alcohol wipes to try to expose the stamps and letters. "hopefully I can get some pics up this weekend if light cooperates". No buttplate overhang and one HECK of a tight lock up. I have to really smack it hard to lock. Dont have a gun for it, but if I see stamps at a gunshow I grab it. They show up so rarely off a gun anymore.
Forgot to mention, someone intentionally tried to sand off the Cartouche on this..........sad

Last edited by Joturkey; 09-10-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Default Yep

Kent,
I have seen a few later EMcF with flat cutouts have the large wheel. I seem to recall a discussion here a while back where it was mentioned that the large wheel shows up intermittently throughout the EMcF period.

Neat find for sure.

Rob
Old 09-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Yes, I owned one at one time, it is one of the few that rob30-06 has seen.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 AM

I still have some wiping to do , but I am about 90% its EMcF, hopefully it will be sunny this weekend so I can post some pics. Too bad Bubba had to sand away those ugly letters on the side, there is actually a dip there. getting them to show in pics will be difficult , but there is definitely something left there.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Ok, finally got this cleaned, yes it is a large wheel with outline of box, both are barely visible, no letters remain "unfortunately BUBBA did his job well" so from what I gather with the large wheel and flat clip latch cutout would make this an EMcF? anyway kind of interesting stock, it is in pretty rough shape though as mentioned earlier lockup is tight as heck, have no gun for it, maybe I'll just oil it up and use it once in awhile. Was pondering listing it in WTS but I doubt any collector would want one this rough.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
Ok, finally got this cleaned, yes it is a large wheel with outline of box, both are barely visible, no letters remain "unfortunately BUBBA did his job well" so from what I gather with the large wheel and flat clip latch cutout would make this an EMcF? anyway kind of interesting stock, it is in pretty rough shape though as mentioned earlier lockup is tight as heck, have no gun for it, maybe I'll just oil it up and use it once in awhile. Was pondering listing it in WTS but I doubt any collector would want one this rough.
If you can take pics that show the stamps and put a good price on it it'll sell. I just sold a GAW set in the WTS thread that is beat all to hell and has ghost stamps but using a pen light from different angles I managed to get the stamps to show in the pics. I would never have used it on anything that I would add to my collection so selling it got it out of my way and someone will get some benefit out of it.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
If you can take pics that show the stamps and put a good price on it it'll sell. I just sold a GAW set in the WTS thread that is beat all to hell and has ghost stamps but using a pen light from different angles I managed to get the stamps to show in the pics. I would never have used it on anything that I would add to my collection so selling it got it out of my way and someone will get some benefit out of it.
Unfortunately thats as good as it gets for pics "these things are barely visible" I was surprised anything showed in pics, the wheel remnant is high and just rear of where the back of the receiver would be. This is where they are, the box is approximate.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
Unfortunately thats as good as it gets for pics "these things are barely visible" I was surprised anything showed in pics, the wheel remnant is high and just rear of where the back of the receiver would be. This is where they are, the box is approximate.
If it has a .188" ordnance wheel on the bottom of the pistol grip it should serve as evidence it's a WW2 SA stock. That has value.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:21 PM

Cant see the small emblem there, though the right rear of the stock is like swiss cheese from bullet dimples.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:27 PM

Just a thought, sometimes if you rub a little WD40 where the stamps are it'll make them show up better. I've heard black shoe polish will too. Rub a little shoe polish on and gently wipe off. Supposedly some stays in the stamps and makes them show better