Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 AM

Default X Stamp ???

I recently picked up a Springfield 1903 MKI and the rifle is a mix master with a receiver made in 1919, HS barrel dated 6-44, etc. I have gone over the rifle documenting stamps and markings on the metal and wood, trying to identify sources for each part. Almost all the metal parts, other than barrel and receiver have R stamped on them leading me to believe the rifle has mostly Remington parts. The extractor has a 4 stamped on top of it.

The stock is a straight stock with hand grooves and the wood is lowered on the left side to clear the Pederson device ejection port. I removed the action from the stock and saw a small N or Z stamped on top of the stock, depending on which angle you look at it, forward of the magazine well. The stock has a X stamped on the wrist behind the trigger guard where a P proof mark would normally be found. The X is the only stamp I can find on the outside of the stock. I used bright light and a magnifying glass and have not been able to find evidence of any other markings on the stock. The X is not enclosed in a box and it is stamped deep into the wood.

What is the significance of the X?
Old 09-22-2019, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

The X is common and seen on Greek return rifles. For what no one really seems to know. Acceptance stamp of some sort? FWIW
Old 09-22-2019, 08:48 PM

If the "X" is about 1/4" tall, then it's a subinspection mark applied by the stock maker to indicate that certain stock dimensions passed inspection.

J.B.