Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2019, 12:20 PM

Default CMP AMC Course

Who has been? Tips? How's the best way to pick your parts?
Old 09-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Which class dates are you attending?
Old 09-22-2019, 02:58 PM

1-3 Oct
Old 09-22-2019, 03:47 PM

Hey, My son and I are going to be in the same class!

Here is a link to a report about the course from a few years ago. Scroll down a ways. Lots of photos.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index....0425#msg350425
Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Attended May 14, 15 16 class May of this year. Excellent class. Excellent Instructors. Excellent range time. Good food. Good coffee. Tons of Information. I took a folder full of notes. Very accurate rifle. Offered Service Grade special or Field Grade Special. Not much difference in Either rifle. Save a little on fg sp. I opted for Sg. Sp. . Parts are brought to your work space. Receivers are placed on table at rear of shop into two catagories, Sg. special or Fg Special. Also op rods on rear table. Everyone goes to table at same time and selects. Study the Op rods carefully and test them with rocker test. You might bring shop apron if you have one. Best technical class on M1 . Cant speak highly enough. Range is World class. You will tour the facility, you will get to visit CMP Store. The range also sells M1 's. Great trip Have fun.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Bring plenty of ammo for Range Day.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:48 PM

I was there in late Jan 2019. Great course and people and instructors. In our class - you get a background presentation on what to look for in receivers, and presented with a table of each, pick one. No real difference between grades other than possible pitting above the wood line. My advice - think about what serial number range and/or manufacturer you are interested in and see if it available at the table. The rest of the parts are brought to you, and no real chance to change them unless they have a defect of some sort. Don't recall the procedure for bolts and op-rods, vaguely recall bolts brought to you and op-rod on the table.

Last edited by MGMKS; 09-22-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:15 AM

Research serial numbers and draw numbers. Write then down so you can get some parts that match your receiver, just a suggestion. I wish that I had done that. There were lots of parts to choose from. Check your stock when you pick it out. There are many to choose from. You can buy ammo at the store for the range. Enjoy, it goes by pretty fast!

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll
Old 09-23-2019, 01:38 PM

You will be building a shooter, so worry less about the specific parts. I did want and was able to choose a WWII receiver. When I attended they let you choose the receiver, op-rod and trigger housing. Most everything else was handed to you. You will end up filing down the hammer hooks, so better not to have a special one anyway. You do not really need an apron, but it is a personal preference. Try to sit where you have a good view of the screen. Bring a few extra clips and ammo and plan to take time to go to the range. It is the best range I had ever shot at. Also, take lots of pictures.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Old Age Memory Lapse, forgot to include Bolt was also placed on rear tables with receiver. As said befor e be able to view screen. Great trip. Now need to make a reservation for Perrine Ranch Steak house, Buffalo Gap , Tex. Bucket list thing. Take extra ammo. You can buy Creedmore for your Garand at the Store Visit. If you were lucky enough to receive a CMP 1911 the store had GI Pistol Manuals including 1911 and 1911 A1. Good reference .