Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2019, 11:39 AM

Default The South Store Drill Saga

Went with my neighbor to the South Store to pick up a drill for a BM59 project. Got it home and took it apart to find that someone had attempted to grind the barrel from the receiver with a disk grinder without removing the gas port or handguards. OK, not a real big deal, then noticed a burn inside the receiver and it had obviously had a weld in the oprod channel, which would have been a no go for me, as it will never park correctly. So, bottom line. Wasted $400 on a drill that had been returned very damaged to the CMP. Didn't realize that could happen and CMP would just put it in the rack without inspection. So, the serial number is SA 3565635. So, you know who you are, and now so does the CMP. Inspect you drill rifles very carefully prior to walking out the door.....don't assume that the CMP has.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col b View Post
Went with my neighbor to the South Store to pick up a drill for a BM59 project. Got it home and took it apart to find that someone had attempted to grind the barrel from the receiver with a disk grinder without removing the gas port or handguards. OK, not a real big deal, then noticed a burn inside the receiver and it had obviously had a weld in the oprod channel, which would have been a no go for me, as it will never park correctly. So, bottom line. Wasted $400 on a drill that had been returned very damaged to the CMP. Didn't realize that could happen and CMP would just put it in the rack without inspection. So, the serial number is SA 3565635. So, you know who you are, and now so does the CMP. Inspect you drill rifles very carefully prior to walking out the door.....don't assume that the CMP has.
CMP does not consider a drill rifle safe to fire nor is it considered a functional rifle. CMP does not condone the repair of drill rifles to functional rifles and the risk is fully assumed by the customer. That said why would they inspect a drill rifle?
Old 05-04-2019, 01:36 PM

So we are complaining we bought a Drill Rifle which was a "Drill Rifle"!
Old 05-04-2019, 02:30 PM

So, you are saying you missed the weld in the op rod channel....regards....alex
Old 05-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col b View Post
This is 100% on you. A drill rifle is never meant to be reactivated. No reason for them to inspect it. You complaining about it is a complete facepalm moment.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Default Not all drill rifles are created equal as you have learned

Brent,
It is easy to get surprised by the "drilling" methods used on these without almost complete disassembly on some.
I know because I was also surprised once when the op-rod (which had been good on previous purchased) had a cut all the way through the piston. Extra money has to be spent to bring it back, which was unexpected.
I purchased one that had a clean op-rod track and no sign of overheating on the receiver front only to find that they had taken a torch and cut through the bottom of the receiver and into the bottom of the barrel all the way out to where the barrel reduces in diameter. That was rude where I was expecting to just have the barrel tacked to the receiver. I learned I should have removed the rifle from the stock (which was a really nice GAW stockset and the real reason for the purchase).

Careful inspection can yield a receiver that has not been impacted much at all.
My last purchase I did to get a receiver for an M1D Tanker in 7.62X51 that I was building. I was lucky to find an SA receiver in 700K with original finish and a clean op-rod track. No weld in the breech as it had a rod pushed into the barrel and was welded thru a hole far away from the receiver. The weld from the barrel to the receiver was so slight that it broke free with a wrench and the weld stayed with the barrel. I have no problem using that receiver at all and have enjoyed that new toy for a couple years now.

With my previous experiences I learned that inspection is probably the biggest key to finding a worthy contributor for parts.
A hard lesson, but one that is hard to forget.

I have found that the selection of drill rifles at the new store is generally ranked in the very poor range and not at all like the drills from the old store for quality or condition.

Rob
Old 05-04-2019, 06:51 PM

It was bound to happen: A thread about Drill Rifles and how, when, why and where they were "Deactivated and turned into Drill Rifles." Not only that, but CMP has not inspected each and every one of them before putting into the store or selling online, and hanging a tag with the specifics. Buyer, if you seek a Drill Rifle, that is what you will get. The procedures creating that "Rifle" may be simple or complex. I suggest doing two things:
1. Read and understand the definition of "Drill Rifle."
2. Caveat Emptor. Look before you leap.
adden: CMP is not selling these with the proviso that they Can or SHOULD be reactivated.
*I have a Drill 1903 and a 1903A3. Both could probably be reactivated. I bought them
for the stocks, placed those stocks on rifles I already had. Excellent stocks, clear
cartouche and proofs on both. I am delighted with my Drill Rifles.
**I doubt if the armorer on duty will even give an opinion on whether a Drill could be
brought back to life if you asked him.

Last edited by BobJ50; 05-04-2019 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Edit30
Old 05-04-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJ50 View Post
It was bound to happen: A thread about Drill Rifles and how, when, why and where they were "Deactivated and turned into Drill Rifles." Not only that, but CMP has not inspected each and every one of them before putting into the store or selling online, and hanging a tag with the specifics. Buyer, if you seek a Drill Rifle, that is what you will get. The procedures creating that "Rifle" may be simple or complex. I suggest doing two things:
1. Read and understand the definition of "Drill Rifle."
2. Caveat Emptor. Look before you leap.
adden: CMP is not selling these with the proviso that they Can or SHOULD be reactivated.
*I have a Drill 1903 and a 1903A3. Both could probably be reactivated. I bought them
for the stocks, placed those stocks on rifles I already had. Excellent stocks, clear
cartouche and proofs on both. I am delighted with my Drill Rifles.
**I doubt if the armorer on duty will even give an opinion on whether a Drill could be
brought back to life if you asked him.
If he's smart he wouldn't!!
Old 05-05-2019, 05:51 PM

I don't think its the drill work that is bothering col b. It's the fact that there was a more recent failed attempt to remove it from drill status. I wonder who attempted that?

Dave
Old 05-09-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCMP View Post
I don't think its the drill work that is bothering col b. It's the fact that there was a more recent failed attempt to remove it from drill status. I wonder who attempted that?
And I imagine that could have been attempted before it was sent to the CMP...a bored/curious armorer at a base, maybe? Or someone at a VFW.

Last edited by i1afli; 05-09-2019 at 11:28 AM.