Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Collecting all the varieties of the IHC rifles

For some foolish reason I have decided to find an example of all the varieties of IHC rifles I believe exist. Yea, I know. Mrs. Robinson did not raise a very bright child.

I think I have identified nine serial number, configuration & type varieties, both major and minor and am curious if any should be added to my list.

• IHC/IHC Postage Stamp - (4407000-4408000) * a tough one to find
• SA/IHC Arrowhead - (4440001-4441100) * have this one SN 4440448
• SA/IHC Postage Stamp - (4441101-4445557) * have this one SN 4441170
• IHC/IHC Postage Stamp - (445000-5197999) * easiest one to have. My SN 4546954
• SA/IHC Gap Letter - (4637500-4659999)- * have this one SN 4658875
• IHC/IHC Postage Stamp with Springfield provided barrel - (5 mil range) * have this one SN 5126401 and 5065390
• IHC/IHC Postage Stamp with HRA provided stock - (5.1 mil range) * have this one SN 5166670
• SA/IHC Gap Letter - (5198000-5211244) * have this one coming
• HRA/IHC - Postage Stamp - (5213034 to 5217010) * another tough one to find

As you can see from the above I am well on my way but still have some pretty significant rifles to find (down to only two needed!).
Are there any missing from the list that could be added? Hopefully one that might actually be able to be found?

neat hobby we have here

A few pictures of the rifles I have:

First up the Arrowhead
[IMG][/IMG]

added 8/25/19
I purchased another IHC Service Grade at the South Store this past Saturday that had what I believed to be an original Springfield barrel. The punch mark is a bit out of place but I have seen the punch mark mis-located on LMR barrels also so figured it was worth the chance to get it. I asked a trusted knowledgeable resource if he agreed and got positive feedback.
I feel it is a good idea to share the pictures of both of these barrel punches, so here they are:

IHC SN 5126401 (typical punch location on 6-53 barrel)

[IMG][/IMG]

IHC SN 5065390 (located in a different location on 8-53 barrel)

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rob30-06; Yesterday at 11:42 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-23-2019, 10:11 AM

I didn't even realize there were so many variations when I started into the M1 hobby, I guess I have two of them already. 5121775 and 4538598. I would.lpce to snag an arrowhead or gap letter one of these days.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Default IHCs

Sold all the ones Iíd been care taking for.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:42 AM

It looks to be a long journey to collect all the variations of IHC Grands and a lot of money. If I were younger I would do the same. I have one very nice IHC Grand thatís almost correct and I paid the sellerís firm price but then I always pay more for the best quality I can afford.
Just wondering what your criteria is. Are you only interested in correct or near correct with original barrels or examples with IHC receivers with a few IHC parts? Good luck in your search. Always nice to see pictures of what you have now.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnv View Post
It looks to be a long journey to collect all the variations of IHC Grands and a lot of money. If I were younger I would do the same. I have one very nice IHC Grand thatís almost correct and I paid the sellerís firm price but then I always pay more for the best quality I can afford.
Just wondering what your criteria is. Are you only interested in correct or near correct with original barrels or examples with IHC receivers with a few IHC parts? Good luck in your search. Always nice to see pictures of what you have now.
Criteria is a good question.
For me I think the only thing that makes much different is original finish and barrel.
I like for them to be as much IHC as possible and have been lucky in the ones acquired thru the CMP.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:51 PM

Toughest one on that list is probably the HRA/IHC, also probably the very early IHC/IHC.

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Old 08-24-2019, 10:02 AM

I have the Gapper you examined at the OVMC show in Feb 4,641xxx available...
Good luck on your quest.
Parker
Old 09-21-2019, 09:08 PM

Default OK, just got one of the Gapper IHCs

Just got a 4.6 Gap Letter IHC at the South Store (can you believe that!).
I have seen quite a few of these come from the store but this is the first one I got myself.
That only leaves me three varieties to get before I have all of them.
Unfortunately for me that ones I need are some of the hardest to find.

Here is the Heel and Heat Lot of the Gap Letter I just acquired:

[IMG][/IMG]

One at a time is the way to go

Rob
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Default IHC 5.16 with original HRA stock

Guys,
I thought you guys that have not seen this kind of stuff might enjoy so below is a photo showing the interesting details of an HRA stock used by IHC. As can be seen the stock is obviously HRA wood with the distinctive profile, large back porch and generous grip heel.
This rifle was basically correct as purchased at the CMP South Store in this configuration. The only non IHC part besides the stock was the SA Follower Arm and who can say it is not correct? This was an interesting period where manufacturers were sharing parts so you can see some odd stuff.
How can you tell the stock was used by IHC you say? Good question.
Besides being on an otherwise correct IHC, as found, the clincher for me is in the DAS. It has the distinctive high arc to the stars that was used by IHC during this time period.
HRA's DAS was similar to that used by Springfield and the stars have a much lower arch. A photo of the hRA DAS is provided below as a comparison.
The Proof also has characteristics of the IHC Proof being incompletely struck and open on both side as you can see, unlike the HRA Proofs which tend to be fully struck.
I have to wonder how many of these stocks were removed from rifles and "correct" IHC stocks put on?

[IMG][/IMG]

for comparison a 1/2" DAS from HRA on one of my rifles

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty neat stuff
Rob
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

Enjoy the tutorials here. Great info. Looks like you have some nice IHC examples. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!