Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613jmm View Post
For future reference, there is no need to quote a post with a bunch of pictures included. Highlight and cut the pictures out of the quote, that way others don't have to spend the extra time scrolling through a bunch of pictures they have already seen or don't want to see again.
Got it, they just show up as links for me, so I didn't know.

Steve
Old 09-22-2019, 05:56 PM

Photos for sgt_1230

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 11:38 AM

I got mine today, and it is looking like it might be considered a dog. It is a 3.6 SA, and the heel stamp is almost completely removed:

https://ibb.co/mS0v17s

Interestingly, I did get a Breda "BMB" op rod:

https://ibb.co/25jKMyC

Of course, I bought this knowing it would be a semi-junker, so I am not particularly disappointed. But the reason I call it a dog despite my lowered expectations is because I bought it solely to be a shooter. But for brand new wood, the lockup on it is not very tight at all. And from the bottom, the rear sight elevation knob spins freely back and forth (the rear aperture rises and falls but the knob does not engage the receiver and does not "click") for half a turn before it finally engages the receiver and starts "clicking" and locking in. It might just be that the elevation knob was somehow installed incorrectly, but I did not yet have time this morning to disassemble it and ensure that the receiver notches are actually serviceable under there. I hope it is just the knob and the receiver notches are okay.

As for the good, there is no pitting at all on the receiver (or anywhere else that I could see, for that matter). The park job looks good and everything metal that was re-parked, including the buttplate is a uniform color except the rear band on the front handguard. The wood has decent grain and might look pretty nice once I finish it up.

Hopefully, the rear sight is easily fixable and it shoots pretty well. If so, it will fill my needs and end up being well worth the asking price.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Here View Post
I got mine today, and it is looking like it might be considered a dog. It is a 3.6 SA, and the heel stamp is almost completely removed:

https://ibb.co/mS0v17s

Interestingly, I did get a Breda "BMB" op rod:

https://ibb.co/25jKMyC

Of course, I bought this knowing it would be a semi-junker, so I am not particularly disappointed. But the reason I call it a dog despite my lowered expectations is because I bought it solely to be a shooter. But for brand new wood, the lockup on it is not very tight at all. And from the bottom, the rear sight elevation knob spins freely back and forth (the rear aperture rises and falls but the knob does not engage the receiver and does not "click") for half a turn before it finally engages the receiver and starts "clicking" and locking in. It might just be that the elevation knob was somehow installed incorrectly, but I did not yet have time this morning to disassemble it and ensure that the receiver notches are actually serviceable under there. I hope it is just the knob and the receiver notches are okay.

As for the good, there is no pitting at all on the receiver (or anywhere else that I could see, for that matter). The park job looks good and everything metal that was re-parked, including the buttplate is a uniform color except the rear band on the front handguard. The wood has decent grain and might look pretty nice once I finish it up.

Hopefully, the rear sight is easily fixable and it shoots pretty well. If so, it will fill my needs and end up being well worth the asking price.
You may already know this, but if the serrations on the receiver look decent, you might try tightening the little lock nut on the windage side of the rear sight assembly a click or two and see if it engages. Iíd bet the CMP would make it right if that doesnít fix it. Worst case there are serrated discs that are designed to restore the elevation clicks on excessively worn receivers. Iíve never needed one, but they are inexpensive and seem to work pretty well.

Regarding the lockup, check the nubs on the trigger guard to make sure theyíre not worn down. If theyíre flattened or mushroomed at the top, itís a cheap, easy fix! Iíd be somewhat surprised if that new CMP wood werenít tight, but itís certainly possible.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
You may already know this, but if the serrations on the receiver look decent, you might try tightening the little lock nut on the windage side of the rear sight assembly a click or two and see if it engages. Iíd bet the CMP would make it right if that doesnít fix it. Worst case there are serrated discs that are designed to restore the elevation clicks on excessively worn receivers. Iíve never needed one, but they are inexpensive and seem to work pretty well.

Regarding the lockup, check the nubs on the trigger guard to make sure theyíre not worn down. If theyíre flattened or mushroomed at the top, itís a cheap, easy fix! Iíd be somewhat surprised if that new CMP wood werenít tight, but itís certainly possible.
I did not have time to play with the sight and diagnose the issue. It may not be a big issue, but I am still surprised that a CMP armorer assembled and sent a rifle out with dysfunctional sights. The fix might be cheap and easy, but a special grade rifle should not need any "fix" at all. It should be good to go right out of the box. But hopefully, it is nothing big.

As for the lockup, I should clarify that the receiver legs are relatively tight in the stock on the sides, but the trigger assembly does not lock up very tight. It unlocks and falls out relatively easily using just 2 fingers. I was expecting the new wood to make it hard to lock and unlock the trigger assembly. I got an IHC with replacement walnut last year, and I have to use a screwdriver for leverage to unlock the trigger group and a rubber mallet to lock it back in. This one is not nearly that tight. I hope that does not affect the accuracy. I'd rather not have to bed it and make it ineligible for some competition use.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:13 PM

If trigger guard lugs have flat spots it doesn't matter if stock is new or not, lock up will be loose. They don't have to be very flat to affect it.
IMO this is the chance you take with a rack grade. Rack grades may need work
Old 09-23-2019, 04:31 PM

How does the heel stamp get that far removed? I have a lot of experience blasting and that looks more like they sanded it off. I wonder if there was heavy pitting on the receiver heal that was sanded off taking the stamp with it.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bml View Post
How does the heel stamp get that far removed? I have a lot of experience blasting and that looks more like they sanded it off. I wonder if there was heavy pitting on the receiver heal that was sanded off taking the stamp with it.
I was wondering the same thing, the one I posted pics (earlier in this thread) of where the stamp was missing, it didn't look like it was just filled with new Park, it looked like it was physically gone. Also note the ones I've seen in the stores with light or almost all the stamp missing, also didn't have any pitting anywhere, it looks like the entire receiver was heavily blasted or sanded out.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:46 PM

It is common for WRA garands to have light heel stamps to begin with before being refinished. Have to remember, these may have also been refinished before
Old 09-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Here View Post
I did not have time to play with the sight and diagnose the issue. It may not be a big issue, but I am still surprised that a CMP armorer assembled and sent a rifle out with dysfunctional sights. The fix might be cheap and easy, but a special grade rifle should not need any "fix" at all. It should be good to go right out of the box. But hopefully, it is nothing big.

As for the lockup, I should clarify that the receiver legs are relatively tight in the stock on the sides, but the trigger assembly does not lock up very tight. It unlocks and falls out relatively easily using just 2 fingers. I was expecting the new wood to make it hard to lock and unlock the trigger assembly. I got an IHC with replacement walnut last year, and I have to use a screwdriver for leverage to unlock the trigger group and a rubber mallet to lock it back in. This one is not nearly that tight. I hope that does not affect the accuracy. I'd rather not have to bed it and make it ineligible for some competition use.
I don't disagree that the rifles should come with their I's dotted and T's crossed, but the SRG is an absolute bargain for what you're getting if you're wanting a shooter. Like others have said, the new wood and new barrel alone are worth $350-$400 just in parts, not including being fitted/headspaced by a gunsmith. The way I see it, you're essentially paying for a basic accurization and getting the rest of the rifle (with a reparked receiver) for free if you consider the shipping and FFL costs you'd be paying.

With some very minor work it should be shooting on par with a CMP Special costing ober 50% more. With the money you saved, you can send your op rod and gas cylinder off to a shop to have it re-tipped to match, and buy NM sights. Or you could just load a ton of ammo for practice. Good on you for ordering an SRG, it's a really smart buy for a shooter!

And lastly, tons of people here are willing to help you get those little snags squared away if the CMP doesn't think it to be an issue considering that it's a Rack Grade. I had that happen to me recently on a Field Grade and have come to terms with the fact that I only paid $650 for a rifle that's worth a lot more!