Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Default Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Since the RG Specials were just listed to the web page(Rifle Sales) yesterday(or today) then I guess he would be talking about store sales, as I doubt anyone has received their mailorder RG Special yet....
That is correct, it was a store purchase!!!
Old 09-04-2019, 09:10 PM

What a GREAT move by the CMP... a ideal accurate match shooter to use and abuse rain or shine for CHEAP. I'll probably order one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2019, 09:24 PM

Sounds like a good deal! My field grade special looked great and is my go to for garand matches. Did anyone else receive the sales update email? I got the email this morning. Rich

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Was curious about this too. Seems a lot of effort lately to make "Specials".
Wish regular Rack Grades would make a come-back.
Same. I would prefer they just get back to selling rifles graded as received rather than trying to put lipstick on them.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekeep View Post
Sounds like a good deal! My field grade special looked great and is my go to for garand matches. Did anyone else receive the sales update email? I got the email this morning. Rich

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Saw this posting first this morning and received the Email later in the afternoon.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt_1955 View Post
I must have missed when the thread switched to store sales. FYI the rifle sales web page was updated yesterday (the beauty of using Wachete).
Why would it make any difference? He stated the store and mail order rifles are picked from the same batches. I have been to the stores, and I agree, there are some real dogs in the stores also. There have been plenty of other mail order and store offerings for him to make an educated observation first hand.

The only important thing is, these have actually been put on the website so people can order them instead of making a trip to the store.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
Same. I would prefer they just get back to selling rifles graded as received rather than trying to put lipstick on them.
Actually with a new barrel, new wood and "in spec" parts you wind up with a rebuilt rifle. Not attractive to a collector perhaps, but a great deal for a someone who wants to shoot and use it.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
Actually with a new barrel, new wood and "in spec" parts you wind up with a rebuilt rifle. Not attractive to a collector perhaps, but a great deal for a someone who wants to shoot and use it.
I think you would have better luck with the field grade specials or service grade specials for a good shoot and use rifle. After looking at the online posting for these the internals may be rack grade quality and not refinished to include the oprod and gas cylinder which could both fail to gauge properly. Heck three of my service grade rifle I've purchased in the last few years have failed in specs and should have been field grades instead or not even issued.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:47 AM

I bought 8 Field Grades a couple of years ago, that were freshly-refinished pitted-to-hell receivers. This is a much more honest use!

Eli
Old 09-05-2019, 07:19 AM

For $650. a great way to get a start in old school Garand match shooting.

Your starting out with a good barrel, and wood that can be improved through fitting and known match tuning without worrying about any detracting from any collectible value. A good start to practice some kitchen table type match conditioning---all the info is out there on the net.

If some enterprising smith offer a quick and reasonable M1D barrel collar mount install that might offer some a reasonable sniper clone using repro import parts.

CMP owns the Garand market and this offering defines a new price point.

Wish they had a .308 option---those receivers sure could heat up the BM59 building market.