Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:21 AM
wd0bc wd0bc is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SAINT JOSEPH, MISSOURI
Posts: 52
Default FYII BAD EXPIERENCE ...ups shipping ammo

JUST AN F Y I FOR THOSE OUT THERE......


SOLD SOME AMMO.....PACKAGED ....LABELED (AND YES IT WAS ADDRESSED CORRECTLY.)...DRUG TO UPS OFFICE......AND THEN....


THREE DAYS LATER I GET EMAIL FROM UPS ....RETURNING ....NO SUCH ADDRESS....


CHECK ADDRESS WAS CORRECT.......

.
7 PHONE CALLS .....UPS TELLS ME......DRIVER ON VACATION..SUBSTITUTE....SUB COULD NOT FIND ADDRESS....


ASK FOR REFUND OF SHIPPING WHEN PACKAGE ARRIVES BACK HERE......



UPS SAYS "YES" ....WILL REFUND SHIPPING...


THEY KEEP 30% FOR SOME REASON.....


BILLING CLOSED OF COURSE ON WEEKEND.....



THIS IS NOT OVER........$13 MAY NOT BE MUCH TO UPS BUT TO THIS OLE MAN IT'S A WEEKS GROCERIES OR AN RX FOR A MONTH....


UNITED PARTIAL SERVICE IS A PIECE OF CRAP


UPS SCREWS YOU ......


SOMEONE FOR A REAMING MONDAY MORNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!


JUST IMAGINE THE BUCKS THAT UPS COULD MAKE BY SENDING BACK JUST 1% OF THEIR PACKAGES AND "SHORT REFUNDING" FOLKS !
__________________
A CITIZEN
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Chris_B Chris_B is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 405
Default

Respectfully and with every intention of not offending anyone, UPS is a shipping company, not an infallible organization. It is run by humans. No matter what shipping firm you choose, they have 'screwed up' much worse than this.

I worked for UPS when they damaged a vintage car door that was shipped to me. It was mint, and I mean perfect. It would not have needed paint if my car had been the color of the door. UPS turned it into a piece of scrap, I got back less than half my money, and I got to buy a door that I had to spend ten hours of bodywork on. And I was a UPS employee at the time.

USPS took four *months* to ship Xmas presents to my godchild in 2018.

FEDEX returned dangerous goods to me in 2012 (I was certified to ship everything but radionuclides) when they were packed and shipped 100% correctly and the paperwork was all 100% correct. Try calling FEDEX and convince them they were wrong...by the way, when you mess up shipping dangerous goods, the FAA can and will pay you a visit. I had a nice time "on the carpet" talking to an FAA investigator who simply assumed I was the one who was wrong. Try convincing the FAA they are off base....I can go on.

Any company will make mistakes. You do it. I do too. That doesn't make this mistake better or acceptable, but if you go into this mad, your chances of a solution that is amenable to you go to just about nil. Be rational. Be reasonable. Be firm, but also understand that this is business, not a personal attack on you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:02 AM
SirWilliam SirWilliam is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 217
Default

Last week UPS refused to accept my box of ammo I was shipping

Counterperson (cp) (pointing to ORM-D square on side of box) "Whats in this?"

me: "Small arms cartridges"

CP "we don't take this without paperwork"

me: "since when? I'm here once a month"

CP sounding indignant: "not here! Who accepted this before?"

me: ( points at cp) "you"

At this point she turns to the driver standing behind her, tells him she needs a smoke and for him to deal with this. To make a short story shorter, he tells me to remove the ormd label and bring it back! Preferably when the original cp is on break.

Next time I'll just hand it off to a driver. Or suck it up and go FedEx

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:31 AM
dartem dartem is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: MA by way of PA,VA,MD
Posts: 159
Thumbs up FedEx

Every time...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Vos Parate Vos Parate is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MO
Posts: 2,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWilliam View Post
Last week UPS refused to accept my box of ammo I was shipping

Counterperson (cp) (pointing to ORM-D square on side of box) "Whats in this?"

me: "Small arms cartridges"

CP "we don't take this without paperwork"

me: "since when? I'm here once a month"

CP sounding indignant: "not here! Who accepted this before?"

me: ( points at cp) "you"

At this point she turns to the driver standing behind her, tells him she needs a smoke and for him to deal with this. To make a short story shorter, he tells me to remove the ormd label and bring it back! Preferably when the original cp is on break.

Next time I'll just hand it off to a driver. Or suck it up and go FedEx

Bill
Was this the UPS hub or a UPS store?
__________________
Never slap a man while he is chewing tobacco.
Vos Parate Feedback Thread
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2019, 08:20 AM
SirWilliam SirWilliam is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
Was this the UPS hub or a UPS store?
It was the hub. What ticked me off was the same counterperson accepted a 66lb wooden crate of 7.92 properly marked two weeks prior.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Respectfully and with every intention of not offending anyone, UPS is a shipping company, not an infallible organization. It is run by humans. No matter what shipping firm you choose, they have 'screwed up' much worse than this.

I worked for UPS when they damaged a vintage car door that was shipped to me. It was mint, and I mean perfect. It would not have needed paint if my car had been the color of the door. UPS turned it into a piece of scrap, I got back less than half my money, and I got to buy a door that I had to spend ten hours of bodywork on. And I was a UPS employee at the time.

USPS took four *months* to ship Xmas presents to my godchild in 2018.

FEDEX returned dangerous goods to me in 2012 (I was certified to ship everything but radionuclides) when they were packed and shipped 100% correctly and the paperwork was all 100% correct. Try calling FEDEX and convince them they were wrong...by the way, when you mess up shipping dangerous goods, the FAA can and will pay you a visit. I had a nice time "on the carpet" talking to an FAA investigator who simply assumed I was the one who was wrong. Try convincing the FAA they are off base....I can go on.

Any company will make mistakes. You do it. I do too. That doesn't make this mistake better or acceptable, but if you go into this mad, your chances of a solution that is amenable to you go to just about nil. Be rational. Be reasonable. Be firm, but also understand that this is business, not a personal attack on you.
I don't work for any shipping company but well put.
It's Sunday morning, go to Church, take the Dog for a walk, and move on.
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Chris_B Chris_B is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWilliam View Post
Last week UPS refused to accept my box of ammo I was shipping


Bill

Interesting. I (thankfully) ceased shipping DG a few years ago, but I might have an insight. No company is required by law to accept any dangerous good package.

A few specific things might be going on in your case:

1) Idiot UPS employee. I realize that seems redundant.

2) Change in Code of Federal Regulation title 49. Could be re: packaging, labeling, exemptions...CFR 49 is a flipping nightmare, they only do an 'e-book' now, and it can be updated at any time. You think stereo instructions are confusing...read a CFR title. Also possible a change in CFR 49 has confounded the UPS employee. Many times (read: almost all the time) the 'old' way of shipping is not permitted and was flagged as a reason to yank a package and refuse it.

3) Change in UPS policy. I recall hearing that they wanted to do something about or with ORM-D years ago. Maybe it has happened.

4) ICAO regulation (International Civil Aviation Organization) has become involved whether it should or not. Sometimes employees feel that all DG is "DG by air", which sounds odd, why would DG be preferable by air? Well the regs are stricter for starters. Anyway, sometimes shipping employees feel that all DG is DG by air, and all DG by air is subject to full ICAO even if there's an exemption. It's not a simple set of rules and confusion can be easily found.

5) That hub has had their wrists slapped re: ORM-D or Dangerous Goods and the bosses have given them the 'scary talk' , so the employee is playing Mickey the Dunce.

My gut is that the counter help at a hub are not really dangerous good experts and/or are very conversant in CFR title 49.

Drivers, by the way, are almost all ignorant of CFR 49 specifics, ICAO/IATA, etc. in my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Chris_B Chris_B is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
I don't work for any shipping company but well put.
It's Sunday morning, go to Church, take the Dog for a walk, and move on.

Thanks. At one time I got wrapped around the axle about this stuff. Hard experience showed me it never helps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2019, 05:04 PM
RASelkirk RASelkirk is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SETX - 77651
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
Was this the UPS hub or a UPS store?
UPS hubs are a steaming joke! No matter what item I ever took to a hub for shipping (mostly automotive parts), the counter "nazi" religiously stripped off all the packaging for inspection. No matter how many people were behind me in line. No matter how many in front of me that just dropped their stuff, paid the ticket, and left. I'll never step foot in another hub...

Russ
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.