Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Default CMP Special Grades - Sold out 9/18/19

I'm sure that plenty of you are more familiar with this history but for the 5 years that I have been aware of the CMP and Garand sales I have not seen Special Grades sold out.

I wonder if that is an indication that all bare receivers in current inventory have "significant" or "heavy" pitting??
Old 09-19-2019, 08:23 AM

The Rack Specials and Field Specials are still available.

I think you are right in your thinking. Also possible that they are trying to fill regular Service Grade orders rather than turning SG rifles into Specials. We can speculate, but will probably never know.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt_1955 View Post
I'm sure that plenty of you are more familiar with this history but for the 5 years that I have been aware of the CMP and Garand sales I have not seen Special Grades sold out.

I wonder if that is an indication that all bare receivers in current inventory have "significant" or "heavy" pitting??
It seems to me that CMP has been on a roll building different variations of the "Special" lately. I bet they had amassed a large number of reparked receivers and perhaps that inventory has reached an end....for now.
There was also mention recently of Specials with .308 barrels appearing soon, which might indicate a barrel change over....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
Sir,
It appears we only have the .308 in our CMP Special Rifle at this time - see http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/. Check back on our Rifle Sales web page in a few weeks to see if the other .308 rifles are available for ordering.

Thanks,
Christine
Specials have been a good seller for CMP and sure they will make a return.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt_1955 View Post

They have been sold out before in the past. Typically because the armorers were busing on other tasks. In this case they may be spending their time on the rack grade and field grade specials because they have a stack of RG and FG receivers that they need to use up.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:14 PM

They have the same money in the Winchester receivers as any of the others, but they sell for 200 bucks more than the Springfields Hey, they are makin money, they know what people want & how to play it, & that is how it works. Specials are now available in just Winchester. I got a Springfield Special in May with a late Korean War serial number, & glad I bought when i did. It is so addictive to want to have one(or more) of those beautiful rifles. M1D specials will be on the block soon.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:45 AM

I got a "plain-Jane" SA special a couple years ago. It's my favorite rifle and gets used almost exclusively except for rain or snow. Recommend one for anyone who actually uses a Garand. I may get a rack special for when I want/need to go out in wet or snowy conditions.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:36 AM

My Garand is the "purdiest" gun I have, & shoots so damn good. It is my favorite rifle to deer hunt with besides my M1A. Also like yourself, no rain & snow for either one. They don't like to get wet, & neither do I, lol.