Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 02:23 PM

Default Question on barrel marking

Really enjoying my 1911, spending some range time and learning more about it. Unfortunately, I can't find anything on the barrel marking. It looks like I have a matching Colt frame and slide, both from the same time period but the only marking on the barrel is a "5" on the top breech end. Under magnification, there is no other markings. I am using Poyer's book but can find nothing mentioned there. Does anyone one have a suggestion on how I might check it further? By the way, the S/N range is in the 169000 range, if that helps.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:59 PM

Look VERY closely at the top of the barrel that you can see through the ejection port and see if you can see an H and a P either seperately or joined together. This will narrow down the general age of it.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Coolgunsite depicts a barrel with numeral 5 forward of the logs as Colt WWI production. No mention of it in the narrative description though. I have one like this and have also wondered about it.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:46 PM

Mine is definitely a "5". No other markings that I can find.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Dave 27 and I seem to have the same thing....no other markings anywhere. If this is a WW I production, then it's seen very little action. The proof marks are visible but unreadable and the Colt pony aft of the slide serrations is also barely discernible. It has a rebuild stamp of SA. It shoots just fine and I couldn't be happier. Well, if it were a Singer....
Old 09-19-2019, 10:39 PM

Post pictures of it. Top, bottom, sides. A WWI Colt barrel can be distinguished from a WWII barrel by the side the profile of the lug and the taper from the chamber to the barrel tube itself. And, for very early barrels the plunge cut in the lug for the link. The barrels in question likely had some other marks on them that were obliterated or are otherwise unnoticed.