Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2019, 09:59 AM

Default Interesting FG Received Today - Wood Question

Hey guys,

I ordered an FG a couple weeks ago for parts to complete a couple projects. I was expecting a worn barrel and hackberry stock, but I ended up with a matching 5/45 receiver and barrel with 1+ MW and 2+ TE. It has an old walnut stock, but Iím not sure what to make of it. It has no cartouches at all, and the heel of the receiver sticks out prominently over the edge of the wood. I assume itís a USGI stock that was sanded aggressively at some point. Does anyone have any info on this?

Here are some pictures!

https://imgur.com/gallery/uUa10WF

Thanks!

Steve
Old 09-20-2019, 10:29 AM

I think you are right....an old stock sanded like no tomorrow! Pretty decent FG with a matching barrel and great bore.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
I think you are right....an old stock sanded like no tomorrow! Pretty decent FG with a matching barrel and great bore.
Yeah, the crown is clean and thereís no rust or pitting in the bore. Iím very impressed with the barrel. The bolt is a S-A1<>, so thatís a little earlier than ďcorrectĒ, and the trigger housing is WRA, but the op rod is correct 9 SA. I donít see any rebuild markings. Iíll probably replace that stock set if I can find one for a decent price. I wouldnít mind not having cartouches as long as it fits better.

Steve
Old 09-20-2019, 07:31 PM

I would be inclined to get a new CMP stock set and put it to use as a shooter. I'm inclined to think the a TE of 2 and a ME of 1 might be pretty accurate. Generally barrels that get tighter as the bullet goes along have better accuracy. While some might scream at the idea, maybe get it re-parkerized someday.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
I would be inclined to get a new CMP stock set and put it to use as a shooter. I'm inclined to think the a TE of 2 and a ME of 1 might be pretty accurate. Generally barrels that get tighter as the bullet goes along have better accuracy.
The metal on that rifle has a been there done that look so if it were mine I would try to find a used USGI stock set with a good lockup that has the same type of "look." Check lugs on the trigger guard as well. If they're worn out and flattened no matter how good the barrel is it will still negatively affect range results. Since it's a FG regardless of how much you spend on it that won't change.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
I would be inclined to get a new CMP stock set and put it to use as a shooter. I'm inclined to think the a TE of 2 and a ME of 1 might be pretty accurate. Generally barrels that get tighter as the bullet goes along have better accuracy. While some might scream at the idea, maybe get it re-parkerized someday.
I already have a 1+ / 1+ SG with a nice stock set that's an outstanding shooter. I actually love the look of this one it as it is. I just may order one of the new Special Rack Grades as a pinker, because I think they represent really good value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
The metal on that rifle has a been there done that look so if it were mine I would try to find a used USGI stock set with a good lockup that has the same type of "look." Check lugs on the trigger guard as well. If they're worn out and flattened no matter how good the barrel is it will still negatively affect range results. Since it's a FG regardless of how much you spend on it that won't change.
Yeah, I posted a WTB for a late war stock. I think it's really close to being correct, assuming an earlier WWII era bolt and trigger group isn't heresy. I think I'll just find myself a correct stock for it and call it a day. Maybe I'll replace a couple other odds and ends that don't look quite right, like the dark elevation knob and clip latch, that look to me like they are replacements.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Yeah, I posted a WTB for a late war stock. I think it's really close to being correct, assuming an earlier WWII era bolt and trigger group isn't heresy. I think I'll just find myself a correct stock for it and call it a day. Maybe I'll replace a couple other odds and ends that don't look quite right, like the dark elevation knob and clip latch, that look to me like they are replacements.
I have a GAW stock set that I've been thinking of selling. It has a dark finish, the GAW is a ghost and it's what I'd call beat all to hell but otherwise it's a decent stock set.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
I have a GAW stock set that I've been thinking of selling. It has a dark finish, the GAW is a ghost and it's what I'd call beat all to hell but otherwise it's a decent stock set.
I'd love to see it! Ghosts are totally acceptable. Would GAW still be more or less correct for a late war rifle? My email is stevenew@bu.edu. As long as it doesn't have any major cracks or huge gouges I think it could work well for me.

Best,

Steve
Old 09-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Looks similar to mine. Gently clean the wood and look closely in good light. Mine has a shadow of a RIA stamp on the right side of the stock.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack357 View Post
Looks similar to mine. Gently clean the wood and look closely in good light. Mine has a shadow of a RIA stamp on the right side of the stock.
I've actually found a correct stock set for a good price, so I'm thinking about listing this set in the trader. I'll probably do a WTT for new production walnut or hackberry that I'd use for a different project.

Tags
field grade, garand, springfield, stock