Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2019, 05:37 PM

Default Buy Stripped Receiver or a Field or Service Grade?

All, it seems that with the cost to buy a stripped M1 receiver, and comparing that to the cost of ordering a field grade or service grade, and then selling the parts other than the receiver, it seems that the economics go in favor of buying the rifle just to get the receiver.

Does that sound right? Or am I missing something?

JGW
Old 09-18-2019, 06:44 PM

nope. you're right on
Old 09-18-2019, 08:39 PM

Default Stripped Receiver Route is More Expensive, But...

I agree, if your goal is simply to get an M1 (particularly if you don't already have one), buying a complete FG or SG M1 from CMP is the way to go. In my case, I already had some M1s when the opportunity presented itself to 1) acquire an M1 barreled receiver (with bolt) from CMP when they were available (2013) and a stripped Grade B receiver (in 2014).

Both times, the cost of acquiring the separate parts (as well as the difficulty associated with finding the desired mfg., condition, etc.) definitely exceeded the cost of buying a "whole" rifle from CMP. But, I sure learned a LOT about how to put a Garand together; the workings of each part and major sub-assembly (e.g., trigger group); etc. Ultimately, the satisfaction I derived from putting them together from scratch outweighed any financial considerations.

Then again, it's certainly not the cheapest (or easiest) way to go.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:28 AM

Garandster - Your experience in building your own rifle is exactly what I am looking at doing. I have been gathering various parts to do so (trying to get New Old stock and or extremely lightly used parts when possible), all the while keeping an eye out for a good receiver, preferably with no pitting, especially no pitting above the wood line. As I've been amassing the parts, I think I've seen the price of good stripped receivers increase from around $325 to $500 or more. That is why I've turned to the possibility of buying a field grade: just for the receiver 2 pair with all of the new / like new parts to build into a good, tight, rifle. While the end result will likely cost more than a Special grade or even Correct grade, it's the experience, education, and better understanding of the M1 platform that will be worth the cost.

JGW

JGW
Old 09-19-2019, 09:49 AM

You could just buy the SG and if your parts are better swap them in. Receiver “should” be better than a FG. I think the wildcard other than the receiver is the barrel. But building a Garand is a lot of fun and highly recommended. Go for it!
Old 09-19-2019, 11:01 AM

You would be money ahead with a service grade, although there have been some real dandy field grades. If you got a new CMP stock thats worth $130-$150 alone. Other parts add up really quick. Always a gamble with luck of the draw, I'm kinda interested in the current Rack grade special, but mail order is quite risky for that one.

Last edited by Det. Jason 714; 09-19-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:09 AM

I elected to buy two service grades with the intent of sending the lesser one in for conversion to 35 Whelen. The rifles I received were much too nice to diddle with, so I’m going to try again. Damned all the luck!
Old 09-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Default Yes sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTango View Post
I elected to buy two service grades with the intent of sending the lesser one in for conversion to 35 Whelen. The rifles I received were much too nice to diddle with, so Iím going to try again. Damned all the luck!
The struggle is real.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:11 AM

I think you are best off buying a shooter grade gun and doing nothing to it other than shooting - if that's your primary reason for wanting an Garand. If not, then go any route you want. I'm currently building my second M1 on a circa-1941 receiver I bought as stripped. When finished, I figure I'll probably have somewhere between onw-quarter to one-third more into the build than I would have if I just bought an assembled rifle. But my reasons were (1) I wanted a good example of a pre-war Garand and (2) I enjoy building rifles. And this approach is okay just so long as it doesn't dominate your purchasing strategy - which is something I may be in violation of doing myself.....