Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Default Springfield Model 1903 Barrel to Receiver Date Ranges

Hello all,

I purchased a "Low-number" Springfield Model 1903 from the CMP in November 2011 when the CMP was getting rid of the majority of their bolt action rifles. I know about the "Low-numbers" issue and don't intend to shoot it.

I have the following books about 1903 rifles: "The Model 1903 Springfield Rifle and Its Variations" by Joe Poyer and also "The '03 Springfield Rifles' Era" by Clark S. Campbell.

The rifle I purchased was serial number 370710. The barrel was made by Springfield Armory and is dated 4-10. Is there any chance the barrel is original to the receiver? The two books I mentioned owning are not clear as to roughly what barrel dates coincide to receiver dates.

Also the stock on the rifle has two (2) recoil bolts through it and has an inspector's cartouche with a script letter "C" and the other letter(s) are not clear. The letters are over the date 1912. Any idea who the inspector might be?

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:56 PM

There are tables here on this site to correlate you barrel/receiver dates. Many other good tidbits as well, and worth saving the site for reference.
http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html
I would take a guess your inspector would be Conrad Nelson
Old 10-22-2019, 04:22 PM

A Springfield Armory barrel dated 4-10 is a bit late for S/N 370710, but is not out of the question. Springfield Armory was re-tooling for a number of design changes around that time and it's possible your receiver was held back for a few months.

The inspection stamp you describe is Conrad Nelson, chief inspector at Rock Island Arsenal. Your rifle's stock is a replacement and originally had only one recoil bolt.

J.B.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 PM

Mr. Beard and Pickax,

Thank you all for the information. It is much appreciated. It helps greatly to have this forum to gain additional information and to reinforce what I have read in my books. Have a wonderful evening y'all.