Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 PM

Exclamation

If you use your leather slings for competition, don't oil them. You will fight them slipping and stretching after you do and eventually toss it as useless or put it on a rifle you don't intend to compete with. If you are just putting it on there for looks or to carry the rifle around the treatments you can use are endless and anything goes. Avoid anything with driers and petroleum products for leather. Good "Neatsfoot" products can be had but, just like Tung Oil and Linseed Oil "finishes" for wood, there's a lot of Neatsfoot "treament" products that will do more harm than good. Some, over time will turn a good leather product into mush.

This is one of the best products I have ever used and all I ever use these days. Over the long tern it will lightly darken the leather but, what it does better than anything, is cause the leather to have more of a gripping surface rather than a slipping surface. http://www.amazon.com/Skidmores-Bike...+leather+cream

L

Last edited by lapriester; 05-05-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
New Boyt slings are made overseas and frankly are not worth a damn. For the money, I would get a Turner sling - especially is you intend to use it. I can't bring myself to shell out 100+ for any piece of 70-year old hide and expect it to not fall apart.
I'm crestfallen, I couldn't believe that Boyt's are now made overseas. They've been made here in Iowa since 1901. At least they were until 2002. I contacted the company and got this quick, courteous reply:

I wish I could tell you differently but our slings are now made overseas. We quit making them here in Iowa approx 9 years ago due to a fire at our facility. It was then that the tough decision had to be made to go overseas with our products. It was a hard decision for Boyt. The good news was that everyone at Boyt was able to keep their jobs!

I know it was not the news you were looking for. If anyone is not satisfied with their slings they have a 1 year warranty if anything broke and we would certainly be happy to help them.

Dangit, and my father briefly worked for them before he joined the Army in '45.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Get a Turner NM 50" Sling. They have seconds for $42.50 that are super. You can order them on line; just got two for some MM BM59's and I can't find the blemishes. If you use it on an M17, get the 54" size.
Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
Need some advice...

was thinking about getting an original leather sling for my 1903. After bidding and winning one that I thought was in good shape, I came to realize that they are cracked, smell, etc. Well, given the age of the leather sling that is period correct, I guess this is to be expected. Fortunately, the seller was terrific and took it back when I was not happy with it.

I then decided that since the web slings are a bit more available, I would test the waters and buy one for my M1D and see how I like it. Managed to find one for $25 and has a MRT 53 black stamp. Yes I know... anyone (Chinese) could have put there MRT stamp on the sling, but for $25 I figured I would take the chance. Well, it was in good shape when received and it smelled musty to boot! From what a noob can tell, looks good to me.

Now the question... should I continue my quest for an original dated sling (decent one goes for $150+) or simply get a Boyt sling for about $45? Does anyone have a new Boyt?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM

Smile leather sling

Hello,
PM sent
Bob
Old 10-19-2019, 11:44 PM

The RIA 1918 drum-dyed, 12 ounce (brass fitted) units I have on hand are genuinely premium items, and treated with neatsfoot or other conditioner, should outlast almost anything "to regulation" in a Model of 1907 leather strap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15631192@N04/17104669838/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15631192@N04/17104669888/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15631192@N04/36541728914/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15631192@N04/37222576422/

Signing in and looking through the flickr.com collection (there's no spam or other misery involved, and the photos can then be viewed at full size and searches can be done, etc., etc.--it's the world's largest photo hosting service. Any Yahoo i.d. and password will suffice!) will reveal some other variants, all "to regulation", including Kerr-marked leather specimens and Singer Company.

But the drum-dyed units are sturdy and in every way superb.

Also, at the moment, I have an excess.

Advise via PM or e-mail if interested.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:44 PM

I purchased three of the Ron Brown leather slings from Creedmoor sports, 2 for garlands, one for a springfield 1903, and another will be ordered for a recent fn 49 3006. $75 a piece, and 54"
Old 10-22-2019, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthompson502002 View Post
Mine are $30, postpaid.
And they are damn nice slings to boot. Good heavy construction and materials.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 PM

Default details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallased View Post
And they are damn nice slings to boot. Good heavy construction and materials.
The drum-dyed premium 12-oz. from selected hides are even better.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 PM

If original period WWII slings - that you can USE - are what you are looking for - don't forget that the M1923 web Sling is back in production - and, once you get the right instructions (the original WWII manuals had incorrect instructions!) they are an excellent, WWII period sling that I think is better than either the M1907 or the M1 sling, for actual shooting. Look right, and you don't have to risk damaging/wearing out an original.

Starlight Drums is producing them again, all in USA, in an original WWII USGI web gear factory!

The other fun thing about it is the great number of people who have never seen one - and will ask - "What the heck is that!" on the range.

Currently available on E-bay for 59.99 - a bargain compared to originals for $150 - 200.00.
PS- Note - I have no financial interest, I just think it is the best US Military Sling ever fielded, torpedoed by bad instructions and hidebound traditions. Try one - I think you will enjoy having it in your collection. I have asked CMP to consider allowing it in competition (they don't list it, an oversight), as it was a real, US Issue item - but so far, no luck, so if you are shooting Service Rifle you will need an M1907. CC

Last edited by Col. Colt; 10-22-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:55 AM

Question

[QUOTE=lapriester;834089]If you use your leather slings for competition, don't oil them. You will fight them slipping and stretching after you do and eventually toss it as useless or put it on a rifle you don't intend to compete with. If you are just putting it on there for looks or to carry the rifle around the treatments you can use are endless and anything goes. Avoid anything with driers and petroleum products for leather. Good "Neatsfoot" products can be had but, just like Tung Oil and Linseed Oil "finishes" for wood, there's a lot of Neatsfoot "treament" products that will do more harm than good. Some, over time will turn a good leather product into mush.

This is one of the best products I have ever used and all I ever use these days. Over the long tern it will lightly darken the leather but, what it does better than anything, is cause the leather to have more of a gripping surface rather than a slipping surface. http://www.amazon.com/Skidmores-Bike...+leather+cream

Hi Larry,
So, I know this is an old post, but I read it and obtained some of the Skidmore leather cream. On a recently purchased (kind of dry) sling, could you suggest a procedure? Should I put it on the unfinished side as well?
TIA
Regards,
Mike