Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 PM

So the 2019 Springfield match was won with Speer's 125 grain TNT bullet? Competitor 21354 won the 2018 Springfield match also with Speer's 125 grain TNT. It's an accurate bullet that does not generate a lot of recoil and this helps with rapid fire scores. My reason for trying this bullet was an injured shoulder. I simply could not shoot my usual load of a 168 grain bullet with IMR4064. The 125 grain bullet reduced recoil to the point that I could continue shooting.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:32 PM

What velocity is being used for these 125s? The TNT is reported to dust itself at 2K.

Jess
Old 08-24-2019, 05:05 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap17 View Post
What velocity is being used for these 125s? The TNT is reported to dust itself at 2K.

Jess
2k? Reported by who?
Mike B

Last edited by Skeet6; 08-24-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Banned

I've been happy with the 125gr reduced loads from Hornady for antelope using my 06. They're tipped with the SST and perform well. The last 4 lopes I shot didn't mind at all! All were under 400 yards.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriptHrD View Post
I've been happy with the 125gr reduced loads from Hornady for antelope using my 06. They're tipped with the SST and perform well. The last 4 lopes I shot didn't mind at all! All were under 400 yards.
Do you post anything in your own words??????
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...5/#post-848340
Old 08-24-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
2k? Reported by who?
Mike B
It was on the internet, it must be true.
It was a stupid question. I found some load data with velocities around 3000, just after I posted. Doooh! I was hoping no one would notice.

Jess
Old 08-25-2019, 07:01 AM

My 125 loads are going 2932fps out of my Garand with Criterion barrel. No doubt if it would be as accurate slower than my load....I would opt for the slower load. I have pushed them over 3100 in a modern bolt gun and never had one frag.

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 08-25-2019, 08:19 AM

The Speer 125 TNT does have a velocity limit of 3100fps. I have blown them up with a .300 win magnum--can't recall the load. Pushing the lite bullets fast negates the benefit of reduced recoil and serves no real purpose for 100-200 yard shooting. There is a wealth of information on lite loads in the forums. I have used 2900 fps as a good compromise between adequate case fill and reduced recoil. There is no way we can try every combination of bullet, powder, primer, seating depth, crimp, etc. If you have a load that reduces recoil and cost, functions 100%, groups well and meets your other requirements; then load a bunch of it and practice your offhand. BTW--I met Keith years ago at the Eastern Games. When I saw his offhand scores, I remember telling him that he had a bright future. Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 08-25-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The Speer 125 TNT does have a velocity limit of 3100fps. I have blown them up with a .300 win magnum--can't recall the load. Pushing the lite bullets fast negates the benefit of reduced recoil and serves no real purpose for 100-200 yard shooting. There is a wealth of information on lite loads in the forums. I have used 2900 fps as a good compromise between adequate case fill and reduced recoil. There is no way we can try every combination of bullet, powder, primer, seating depth, crimp, etc. If you have a load that reduces recoil and cost, functions 100%, groups well and meets your other requirements; then load a bunch of it and practice your offhand. BTW--I met Keith years ago at the Eastern Games. When I saw his offhand scores, I remember telling him that he had a bright future. Good Shooting. ...
I appreciate the fact you remember me. I think that was about 2010 or so at Butner. I do practice my offhand (be it wood guns or SR's) about 75% of my practice time. I feel (for me) to win matches that's where the best time is spent. I dry fire almost every day. Not only does it help my scores but forces me to stretch my lower back. I used to look at dry firing as a chore but now actually enjoy it. Even I think that sounds weird but it's the truth.

I have won some major matches with the 110/125gr loads. I started out using 168gr MK's like a lot of guys new to the wood guns. By reading this forum I learned that at only 200yds that is not needed...and maybe even a slight DISadvantage over the lighter bullets. Big thanks to Ceresco for pioneering this "out of the box" thinking. I take no credit for the loads but do appreciate the recognition for the scores.

Too many shooters waste too much time/money developing loads for these guns like the are shooting BR. Then when they find "the load" shoot everything from the bench instead of in position like they would in a match. I shoot a lot of Service Rifle (200/300/600yds). I will shoot out a Krieger SR barrel in one year and that barrel gets passed down to practice uppers. Still hammers at 200/300 but falls apart at 600. I have shot so many rounds in matches that I actually shoot better slung up prone than I do at a bench. The jacket and sling just feel natural to me...the bench doesn't. Some of the guys reading this are probably some of my shooting buds and they feel about the same.

Whether you are a casual shooter, like shooting from a bench, or hard core competitor I hope y'all enjoy these rifles as much as I do! Regardless of your group size if you really enjoy this then you already are The Winner. Drive on...

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Last edited by Kilo-Sierra; 08-25-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-Sierra View Post
I hope y'all enjoy these rifles as much as I do! Regardless of your group size if you really enjoy this then you already are The Winner. Drive on...
Hear, hear!

I really hope the games matches stay popular for another fifty years and more. They're fun to shoot, they give those old rifles a job to do, they get us out to the ranges more often, and expand the reach of the CMP.

I'm mostly a service rifle shooter as well, but love shooting the wood guns a few times a year. One of my favorite aspects of getting into into games matches is how it really changes your perspective at looking at the guns. Who cares how original or collectible it is? Does it have a tight stock, a good bore, good sights, etc? Is this thing a shooter? I have a small rack of really good shooters I may not have been interested in ten years ago.

Thanks CMP for keeping these matches expanding and thanks everyone here for continuing to support them. Hope to see some of you at Ben Avery for the Western Cup and Games in a few months.