Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Scubaman7

Default NRA sporter needs Lyman 48

Just found that this 1923 Springfield is a NRA Sporter. According to Rick who was kind enough to share DCM records. Serial # 1255612.

It is missing the Lyman 48 c. Sight.

Can anyone help me locate a replacement?

Thanks

Stan
Old 10-21-2019, 09:01 PM

They do pop up on Ebay. Not cheap by any means.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:26 PM

I just went through the process of buying one via ebay. I bid $190 for one on two separate occasions and got beat. I won another for $135. And when I received it, it was broken. So I had to send it back. I won another for $99 that was mis-listed as a 48 S and it was complete and perfect, except I found that the numbers didn't match after I received it. But I kept it anyway.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:56 AM

I need to look at the Lyman i have at home. Its for the M1903 but i'm not sure of the model#. It is missing the tiny little screw that holds the metal tab (which I have) that indicates the sight elevation setting.

Airborne,
Mark
Old 10-23-2019, 07:49 AM

The correct sight for the 1903 NRA Sporter is the 48S, not the late type 48S that elevation scale does not go to 125. The 48S you need for the NRA Sporter will have the windage scale on the back of the crosspiece. The 48C has the windage scale on the front. The 48S also has a hinged peep on the front of the threaded aperture hole. The hinged peep has a small
tit that fits into a notch milled into the front of the threaded hole. This makes it easy to engage he tit with your fingernail to pull the hinged part down to permit aiming through
the threaded hole for hunting where the shot may be at close range.

The Lyman 48 sights came in various forms over the years. Much misinformation is
posted on the internet forums and on the auctions. Early Lyman sights will not
have the 48S or 48C stamped in the front of the base. It is common for sellers to
to make errors n describing their item.

Scubaman, Email me at hsggbar@gmail.com. I need to give you more information.

Last edited by Herschel; 10-28-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:15 PM

Stan,

I have the correct 48S sight for the NRA Sporter. PM me if interested.

Ted
Old 10-24-2019, 02:17 PM

I've been watching this rifle online...it hasn't sold after several re-listings. It has a 48S... it's a period sporter... doesn't give any provenance of who did the work, but it might be worthwhile to buy for the sight and resell the rifle to recoup most of your money back.. To be clear, it's not mine and I have no relationship with the seller.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/835279264
Old 10-24-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tolson View Post
I've been watching this rifle online...it hasn't sold after several re-listings. It has a 48S... it's a period sporter... doesn't give any provenance of who did the work, but it might be worthwhile to buy for the sight and resell the rifle to recoup most of your money back.. To be clear, it's not mine and I have no relationship with the seller.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/835279264
The rifle is built up on a WWI Rock Island receiver and is not an NRA Sporter. The rear sight appears to be a Lyman 48C and is missing the screw-in aperture.

J.B.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Didn't say it was an NRA sporter... just a period sporter...as in custom rifle. I would expect any potential buyer to ask for better pics and verify the sight model (since it's the object of need) as well as the slide numbers and base be matching. Just thought it might be helpful for OP to see whats out there.... again, I've got no skin in this... not my intention to mislead or upset anyone...
afternoon update: Since I opened this can of worms, I've sent a message to the listing party requesting information on the aforesaid sporting rifle's sight to verify what it actually is. I'll update upon their response.

Update: Message that was sent to listing holder: "Hello... couple of questions regarding your 1903 Sporter.... can you send or post better pics of the sight, the top, the slide and whither the slide markings match the sight base markings inside the slide channel. thanks." This was the response received: "Not before the auction ends. Ed"

So, that would end my interest...

I'm sorry for the diversion from the original line of discussion....

Last edited by Ben Tolson; 10-24-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:56 PM

The custom rifle on the RIA receiver has been sold.