Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 AM

If someone made that statement to me, and I had already selected that rifle, as one that I wanted, "sorry, I'm buying this one". Only if I truely didn't want it, would I return it to the rack. It would depend alot on the attitude and intent the statement was made. No one should be "bullied or intimidated" in the stores.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Phil View Post
I've seen those "games" as well. Jerks trying to pull rifles off the cart while George pushed it across the floor. Buzzards. What makes them stand out even more is the fact that most people are quite helpful toward one another, pointing out "worth-a-look" rifles to others, lending gauges, sharing encouragement (to spend even more), info, etc..
Absolutely. I fondly remember my 1st visit. There was absolutely no shortage of assistance from the store employees and customers. There was just the "few" that tried to spoil it.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 01-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Never had any of the situations as you all described. Every time I visit NS, everyone is helpful and courteous. Of course, this might also have something to do with limiting the amount of customers in the firearm area. If someone finds a rifle they want to purchase, they usually will put it behind the counter so no one else will grab it. That will "free you up" to check out other rifles, or offer assistance to someone else.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 AM

One thing I liked about the "old" store layout (hated the lighting, mind you) was that folks were more apt to stay on the far side of the fence once their paperwork was being processed for their purchases. The issues I see most often now, are trying to browse the racks while many of the folks waiting to complete their sales are lounging in the rifle area.

I'm not a fan of folks who are done shopping, getting in the way of those still looking for rifles. I'd love to see them separate the areas again.

For the record, what Jones described was a boneheaded move on the "that's the one I wanted" guy. He really should have kept his mouth shut. IMHO, YMMV.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM

The thing you can never quite get on the Internet is tone. I can read that line two ways - joking or serious. I can imagine making a joke like that.

In fact at a Christmas tree farm I ran into something similar - I had one I liked pretty well, let's call it A. So I dropped off the wife to guard it for a moment and found one I liked better, B. I called her over to see if she was also OK with B, and the moment she left somebody else just happened to walk along (I don't *think* he knew we were interested in it), and was looking very intently at A and discussing it with their kids. I cut down B (which was a little nicer for our space) and on the way out I saw they were still deciding and I said something like "We were going to get that one!" just meaning it was a nice tree. He started to tense up and get ready to defend it until he saw I was dragging another tree, relaxed, smiled, and said "But you liked that one better, huh?"

I'll take OP's word for it that this guy was serious, but I can see how some people would read it the other way.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM

There's too many people in this world willing to be rude to get what they want, without having to play the same game.

No one knows exactly how he said it, but if that rifle had something about it that he wanted, he felt like it was worth it enough to speak up about it. I would have done it in a different way, but I don't have time anymore to be polite. People just don't care about courtesies anymore and I won't get the short end of the stick because I was raised better than they were.

I "politely" waited the other day in a long line of traffic for someone to let me over in a construction zone, yet I wouldn't hesitate to let a car in front of me. Sooner or later, I'm tired of waiting and have to threaten an accident just to merge.

Maybe he didn't use the right phrase, but at least he knew what he wanted and spoke up about it. Seems as though the OP needs to lighten up a little.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM

An old saying sort-of applies here, "you can attract more flies with honey, than you can with vinegar" (but who wants a mess of flies?). Being polite and couteous to someone may be old-fashioned, but it will make you feel better. Maybe the person is having a bad day, or just received bad news, by being polite and couteous to them may, just maybe, brighten their day.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm01s View Post
Back in the day when the Carbines were coming out (2 to 3 years now?) I was looking at some in the rack when two guys got on either side of me and picked up six at a time - three with each hand - to take them elsewhere in the store to examine them. Couldn't believe it. I was staring at one, with the rack on either side of me empty. Once they looked over the dozen they pulled from the rack, they would put the ordinary back and keep the prizes.
South Store, right? These two show up just about every Wednesday and Saturday, and keep pulling the same tricks. At one time I saw they had over a dozen Garands stacked in the corner, while they prowled the racks looking for more to add to the pile. After they finished going through the racks, they started looking at the rifles. If anyone approached the corner, it was, "Those are mine, stay away!"
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM

This went on at NS, too. Mostly with the carbines. Carbines seem to bring out the very worst in people. Also, it's a lot harder to grab 15 Garands and walk to a table. My motto is-"move your feet, lose your seat". I'm not sure if a couple people were blocking an aisle or not, but once I had to stand next to a couple guys and say "scuse me, sir" to get past. They said "sorry", so maybe I misread the situation. Any problems along this line should be reported to the guys that run NS, IMO.

Charlie
Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Phil View Post
I've seen those "games" as well. Jerks trying to pull rifles off the cart while George pushed it across the floor. Buzzards. What makes them stand out even more is the fact that most people are quite helpful toward one another, pointing out "worth-a-look" rifles to others, lending gauges, sharing encouragement (to spend even more), info, etc..
Yes, truth is, the very first trip I made to the North Store, I had guys tripping over themselves to help me pick a couple winners. I think there are guys that go to the North store with the sole intent to help newbs pick rifles. I came home with two nice field grades and a nice inland carbine. I had no idea what I was doing and they were so pleased "for me" I was touched. Last trip I made to the North Store I went with a friend who has more knowledge than I, by far, and watched him take almost an hour helping a first timer. Most of us in the hobby are of the highest character.

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer