Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen View Post
Thanks, that gives me a good idea of group size. Wayne
Youíre welcome! I shot this from the prone position. Itís a prone match so I figured Iíd sight in accordingly.

Iím sure the groups would be smaller with a bench rest.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Shooting 200 yd smallbore is a lot of fun. Did your Kimber sights have plenty of elevation for it? My H&R Model 12 did, but not the Anschutz 1813 LH I sold the H&R to buy. With my Anschutz, I have to max out my elevation, then put a 12:00 hold on it. Not optimum, but works, for now, till I get some other options.

Danny

I have a lot more elevation available. Iím going to take it to 300 and see how much I have left to get there. I will be getting another Kimber at some point.

Will you be attending the Youngstown match?

Josh
Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
I have a lot more elevation available. Iím going to take it to 300 and see how much I have left to get there. I will be getting another Kimber at some point.

Will you be attending the Youngstown match?

Josh
I am not going. I have not yet been to the Youngstown club. So far, this year, I have had little to no chances to shoot. I hope to get out for some shooting in a week or so.

Dan

Harrington &Richardson 5,549,399.

I would drive right past the CMP "shoots" at Camp Perry to attend the National Matches.
"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts that you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:17 AM

Back in the 1920's the .22 apparently was regularly fired out to 200 yards - E.C. Crossman and a guy named Landis wrote books on shooting the .22LR for sporting and competition in the 20's/30's. CC
Old 06-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I am not going. I have not yet been to the Youngstown club. So far, this year, I have had little to no chances to shoot. I hope to get out for some shooting in a week or so.

Dan
Well I hope to meet up with you at some point this summer! The Youngstown club members are great.

As I understand it, there were a lot of small bore matches in NE Ohio area.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:13 AM

Default Swiss Match

During the summer of 1940 Art Jackson, future Olympic Medalist and winner of the 1952 Presidents Match, traveled to Poughkeepsie, New York to compete in the Smallbore All Range Championship. This anysight event called for ten record shots at 50, 100, 150, 175, and 200 yards with sighting shots allowed only at 50 yards.

The final match of the day was the Swiss Match. The target was a 1/5th reduction of the standard six foot by ten foot 1,000 yard 'C' target, designated the 'C5" for smallbore matches. The black bull's-eye was a 7.2 inch five ring with a four inch V ring. In this event the shooter would shoot prone from the 200 yard line. Having taken two sighters and starting for record the shooter would continue to fire as long as the shots stayed inside the five ring.

Art lay down at 4 PM with half of a box of Western Super Match ammunition. During the course of the afternoon, he would cadge an additional six boxes of Super Match, one by one, from generous bystanders, lose all feeling in his left arm and hand, and approach paralysis. Four and a half hours after he started, the setting sun made it difficult to see the cross hair reticule of the scope and, finally out of ammunition and light, he was forced to stop with an unofficial count of 325 bulls. However, a careful recount of the scorekeeper's tally marks showed one less and his official score card declared he had fired 324 consecutive fives with 238 Vs, beating the previous record on the C5 target, set by Thurman Randle and his rifle 'Bacon Getter, in 1933, by 128 bulls.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Swiss Match

That’s a great achievement!

I shot the Youngstown match in the rain and wind. Shot a 313/400. I was the only guy with irons and I got my butt kicked, LOL!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:22 PM

Dueceguy, I get my butt kicked regularly( shooting & by the wife) , but it’s still fun! Not too many iron sight shooters at out BR, but you’re more than welcome. There’s always guys that’ll let you use the rests. If ur under 60yrs , you’ll be one of the handful,lol. Always very relaxed at the shoots! I’m 69 and in the minority, or at least close to it!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Rocketto View Post
During the summer of 1940 Art Jackson, future Olympic Medalist and winner of the 1952 Presidents Match, traveled to Poughkeepsie, New York to compete in the Smallbore All Range Championship. This anysight event called for ten record shots at 50, 100, 150, 175, and 200 yards with sighting shots allowed only at 50 yards.

The final match of the day was the Swiss Match. The target was a 1/5th reduction of the standard six foot by ten foot 1,000 yard 'C' target, designated the 'C5" for smallbore matches. The black bull's-eye was a 7.2 inch five ring with a four inch V ring. In this event the shooter would shoot prone from the 200 yard line. Having taken two sighters and starting for record the shooter would continue to fire as long as the shots stayed inside the five ring.

Art lay down at 4 PM with half of a box of Western Super Match ammunition. During the course of the afternoon, he would cadge an additional six boxes of Super Match, one by one, from generous bystanders, lose all feeling in his left arm and hand, and approach paralysis. Four and a half hours after he started, the setting sun made it difficult to see the cross hair reticule of the scope and, finally out of ammunition and light, he was forced to stop with an unofficial count of 325 bulls. However, a careful recount of the scorekeeper's tally marks showed one less and his official score card declared he had fired 324 consecutive fives with 238 Vs, beating the previous record on the C5 target, set by Thurman Randle and his rifle 'Bacon Getter, in 1933, by 128 bulls.
Great story! I guess that Art Jackson is more or less the smallbore counterpart of "Dad" Farr.

Danny

Harrington &Richardson 5,549,399.

I would drive right past the CMP "shoots" at Camp Perry to attend the National Matches.
"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts that you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:50 AM

Jeff- I will certainly take you up on your offer. Hopefully soon. I coach my son’s baseball team and the season is winding down.