Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-Sierra View Post
Sammy broke one of my National Records. What are we gonna do with that kid???

Keith
Well, guess I should stop tightening the screws on his 03A3 for him.
Me "you know the screw is about to fall out of your rifle"
Sammy "well....it shoots ok like that"
Me
Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31Schmidt View Post
The record was broken twice that day both times were K31's
Sammy had the record by x count for 30 minutes, also broke the junior record but can't claim it since he's on a military shooting team.

He was using my rifle and handloads, funny part was he had to google what a k31 was. He fired 35 rounds that day (left handed) with no prior handling of it.
I asked if he wanted to take it home and practice, "No, I just would like to borrow it again at Perry next year"

Sammy is also trying to break Dennis Demille's 03A3 record, he missed it by 1 point in 2017
That is just unreal... do you attribute that to the straight pull advantage?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustro79 View Post
That is just unreal... do you attribute that to the straight pull advantage?

Only advantage I see with the straight pull is during rapid fire. You can eject and close the bolt before the spent brass hits the ground only using 2 fingers. Gives more time to recover for a sight picture, and you need it for that leaf sight.

As requested, the load I use now. (Information only, loads should be worked up by end user)

I got this from Sierra manual 5th edition (Credit to Ceresco for posting many times the accuracy of 110 gr bullets)

Once fired GP-11 brass
Tul-Ammo KV-7.62 Primer (berdan)
IMR-4064 45.0 gr (Manual min 44.4 gr -- max 47.8 gr)
Hornady 110 SP #3010
COAL 2.750
Velocity 2925 - 2950 fps @ 15' +/-
Temp 85 - 90 degrees F

Full length sized .002 to .003 off my chamber (Do Not Neck Size Only for K31's they don't have the camming action like standard bolt rifles)

Before you hand load verify that the rear tang screw is torqued properly using factory GP-11 ammo. (specific to each rifle, some are more sensitive than others)

Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Only advantage I see with the straight pull is during rapid fire. You can eject and close the bolt before the spent brass hits the ground only using 2 fingers. Gives more time to recover for a sight picture, and you need it for that leaf sight.

As requested, the load I use now. (Information only, loads should be worked up by end user)

I got this from Sierra manual 5th edition (Credit to Ceresco for posting many times the accuracy of 110 gr bullets)

Once fired GP-11 brass
Tul-Ammo KV-7.62 Primer (berdan)
IMR-4064 45.0 gr (Manual min 44.4 gr -- max 47.8 gr)
Hornady 110 SP #3010
COAL 2.750
Velocity 2925 - 2950 fps @ 15' +/-
Temp 85 - 90 degrees F

Full length sized .002 to .003 off my chamber (Do Not Neck Size Only for K31's they don't have the camming action like standard bolt rifles)

Before you hand load verify that the rear tang screw is torqued properly using factory GP-11 ammo. (specific to each rifle, some are more sensitive than others)

Hope this helps
Good stuff!! I assume I can safely substitute boxer brass for this load. What type of groups do you see with this?

Old 01-12-2018, 02:40 PM

After seeing Greg Ficklin shooting a K31 at the 2017 Eastern Games, and asking him and others about it, I bought one on gunbroker.com for $450. Buttstock tag and bayonet included! Big cool factor ,IMHO.

Extra original mags? A hundred bucks each- when you can find them...But I found repro K31 mags on Keepshootin.com:

https://www.keepshooting.com/schmidt...-magazine.html

I bought 3. They work well.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/

Last edited by rubicon762; 01-12-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Good stuff!! I assume I can safely substitute boxer brass for this load. What type of groups do you see with this?

Boxer brass would work and be easier

With irons I had a 1.5" wind and 2.5" elevation group at 100yd (kind of a dark day)
I have a clamp on scope mount that I may try one day to see what it will do
Old 01-15-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Boxer brass would work and be easier

With irons I had a 1.5" wind and 2.5" elevation group at 100yd (kind of a dark day)
I have a clamp on scope mount that I may try one day to see what it will do
So these loads are not necessarily more accurate than GP11, just less recoil? (Because 2.5 MOA is not better than GP11.) That is a real testament to the skill of the shooter that he would pick up a 2.5 MOA rifle and break the high-power record. [emoji4]

Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
So these loads are not necessarily more accurate than GP11, just less recoil? (Because 2.5 MOA is not better than GP11.) That is a real testament to the skill of the shooter that he would pick up a 2.5 MOA rifle and break the high-power record. [emoji4]

The elevation was my problem, it was a dark day and it's a leaf sight.

I only paid attention to the wind measurements. With that sight and in a sling it is the same accuracy for me as GP11, without the busted lip.

Sammy was able to call every shot, 11 x's out of 30 rounds
Old 01-15-2018, 05:11 PM

Gustro... another load to consider is the one I use. PRVI case, Fed 210m primer, 42.5 gr IMR 4064, Nos 155HPBT. You'll have to find your own COL, mine is nearly touching the rifling, so I'm reluctant to share it.

Definitely beats GP11 in my rifles, zeros to my sights at 200 yards center hold (which I prefer on the K-31s sights), still pretty mild recoil due to the reduced velocity. When I do my part, this one is consistently sub-2" through 10 round strings from my military gun. I have also cleaned the 300m international target on 2 occasions with this load and my diopter sighted rifle. Have not come close to a clean with the same rifle and GP11 on Feldschutzens and Kantonels.

Using Hornady published data. There is some wiggle room to go up or down with the charge to find which level will zero your elevation at 200 yards. Got no noticeable difference in groups going up or down from this charge.

I also had good luck with Varget, but it needed a Win primer to lose the vertical dispersion, and it came back in colder weather. I decided to phase Varget out of my inventory due to it's scarcity during the last shortage though. Now committed to 4064 in all of my .30 cal rifles. Bit of a pain to measure out, but it just seems to be accurate in every application I try it in. Can't claim I've shot a record, I always leak a 9 or two, but that's me, not the load.

Last edited by Polaris; 01-15-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Gustro... another load to consider is the one I use. PRVI case, Fed 210m primer, 42.5 gr IMR 4064, Nos 155HPBT. You'll have to find your own COL, mine is nearly touching the rifling, so I'm reluctant to share it.

Definitely beats GP11 in my rifles, zeros to my sights at 200 yards center hold (which I prefer on the K-31s sights), still pretty mild recoil due to the reduced velocity. When I do my part, this one is consistently sub-2" through 10 round strings from my military gun. I have also cleaned the 300m international target on 2 occasions with this load and my diopter sighted rifle. Have not come close to a clean with the same rifle and GP11 on Feldschutzens and Kantonels.

Using Hornady published data. There is some wiggle room to go up or down with the charge to find which level will zero your elevation at 200 yards. Got no noticeable difference in groups going up or down from this charge.

I also had good luck with Varget, but it needed a Win primer to lose the vertical dispersion, and it came back in colder weather. I decided to phase Varget out of my inventory due to it's scarcity during the last shortage though. Now committed to 4064 in all of my .30 cal rifles. Bit of a pain to measure out, but it just seems to be accurate in every application I try it in. Can't claim I've shot a record, I always leak a 9 or two, but that's me, not the load.
Polaris, great info. I happen to have around 700 of the 155 noslers and 4064 so I'm good there. I presume that you don't crimp... I typically use CCI 200 primers in the bolt guns...any particular reason for the Fed?
I agree on 4064: it is shaping up to be a MVP powder that shoots either great or good in the largest percentage of my rifles, both bolt and semi-auto.

Last edited by Gustro79; 01-15-2018 at 11:25 PM.