Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Default You know, this really is like an addiction.

I am not mechanically inclined at all. I mean, AT ALL! But today I thought about the fact that I have at one time or another, totally removed all parts from an M1 except the barrel. Not on the same rifle, but I have changed the clip latch on this rifle, totally restocked another rifle, replaced this part on the next, etc., until I have the ability to totally strip an M1 rifle to all of it's component parts except removing the barrel.

All this because of a Blue Sky M1 I bought probably 20 years ago and fell in love with! I have bought and sold many M1's, and I definitely have a stong affinity for the M1 Rifle. However much you learn about them, though, you always realize that there is so much more to know.

I guess the next thing to do, is to get the tools necessary to rebarrel one. I got interested in the M1 because of it's history, but found that I have developed a fondness for them just because of their own attributes.

I guess I am not the only one that has this problem on this forum, but it does somewhat amaze me how much I enjoy fooling around with M1 rifles.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Bernie:

I sure understand your motivation in continuing to work on M1s.
The problem is, as you state, you are not mechanically inclined, therefore, you may not have basic shop tools. Working on any system requires tools. A barrel vise and wrench is a start. How about the headspace gauges, calipers, reamers, and a myriad of other things to do a decent job.

I consider myself halfway knowledgeable on M1s, but know my limitations. Enjoy the rifles and know sometimes it's better to "farm" out some of the more complicated tasks. It's a whole lot cheaper in the long run.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 PM

It's not like an addiction, it is an addiction , just try and stop and see what happens.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 PM

I am pretty much in the same boat you are. I have been considering getting the vice/wrench and HS gauges. I currently have a couple of receivers that I am about to start looking for barrels for. I will either invest in the tools or find someone to re-barrel them for me. If you run into a problem during this process it can become quite difficult.

~ It doesn’t take a great scarlet sin to lead you to the pit of destruction. Merely stand and do nothing and you will find yourself there at last. -J.C. Ryle
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 PM

Garand addiction means purchasing the limit of 12 a year. Sort of like a 12 step program, but the only cure is running out of money.

Facebook link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/M1-Col...57812424283175

Affiliated with the CMP and NRA
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 AM

My Garanditis started last Dec. with an HRA SG and HRA SGS received on the same day. I ran out of money before makng it to 12.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 AM

WE understand ....but bet most wives don't! Hard to hide those FedEx deliveries...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 AM

If I bought 12 garands a year the only thing id be collecting would be ex-wifes
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM

Bernie, you are not alone. Look at all of us addicts that hover on this forum and must know the smallest detail for everything. I like to think of this forum as a support group.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 AM

it most definetely is an addiction. I haven't hade my garand for a week and I am already plan on ordering another here shortly! I'll just tell the wife that its for her.