Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM

Congrats, nice looking HRA. In reference to the stock on your rifle, judging from your photos, it looks like you may have a SA stock on your HRA. One easy way to tell the difference between the HRA stock and the SA stock is to look at the area behind the receiver heal. HRA's stocks have more wood extending back from the end of the receiver heal. Collectors call this "a big back porch". Another way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the circled "P" proof firing cartouche that is stamped on the forward portion of the pistol grip. HRA stocks have the letter "P" without serifs. SA stocks have this letter with serifs. Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM

I am tickled pink with it. I don't plan on refinishing it. The only thing I may do is try to find a hra bolt and trigger.

I was in shock when i opened the case, I took the rifle with me everywhere that day to show it off
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM

A few posted pics of your shooting it with your grandfather would be great.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Congratulations. I too received my first M1 (HRA Service Grade) a little over a month ago and was blown away with its condition. Mine had a new stock and a ME1 and TE2. I am very happy with my M1 as should you. They're wonderful pieces of American history.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevelle05 View Post
Can I ask how do you know it's a Springfield stock? I've been trying to figure it out. A lot of what I read said that, that cartouche a long with the circled P it has could be hra. M1's are brand new to me though.

I'm hoping to take my 82 year old grandfather out shooting with it. He hasn't shot one since Korea.
HRA and SA stocks have very differnt countours which are easily idenitfy if you know what to look for. After nealry thrity years of collecting HRAs I can usually spot one from across the room...And then I'll make a lunge for it!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM

Yep sure looks like a late post war SA stock with 1/2" Defence Acceptance Stamp (DAS)

Not uncommon for the SG rifles to ship with SA bolts or trigger groups. In general you have a beautiful rifle.

Could you post a pic here of the stock with the trigger assembly removed (pic of the cut out for the trigger group) and the stock cut out area from the top view?

Facebook link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/M1-Col...57812424283175

Affiliated with the CMP and NRA

Last edited by MH53Gunner; 04-03-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH53Gunner View Post
Yep sure looks like a late post war SA stock with 1/2" Defence Acceptance Stamp (DAS)

Not uncommon for the SG rifles to ship with SA bolts or trigger groups. In general you have a beautiful rifle.

Could you post a pic here of the stock with the trigger assembly removed (pic of the cut out for the trigger group) and the stock cut out area from the top view?
Yeah I'll try to snap some pictures of it tomorrow and post them