Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Does the Leatherwood provide enough eye relief for a 30-06 recoil without messing up my pretty eyebrows?
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 PM

I was shooting a 257 Roberts with my 8X Unertl and had no problems. That's about half the recoil of an '06? These scopes will move forward in the mounts with recoil. After each shot you have to pull them back. That or you set them up with the recoil spring.
Just checked and it looks like 4-5" eye relief.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentg View Post
I was shooting a 257 Roberts with my 8X Unertl and had no problems. That's about half the recoil of an '06? These scopes will move forward in the mounts with recoil. After each shot you have to pull them back. That or you set them up with the recoil spring.
Just checked and it looks like 4-5" eye relief.
OOhh Yeah....sounds good. Thanks.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Default Unertl Clone Scope

During recoil, the scope does not move, but the rifle does during recoil. That is why you pull it back after each shot. The 12 power to 8 power swap was very easy, as only the eyepiece and the power ring need to be changed. No internal changes are required. I have also done this swap to a Lyman Super TargetSpot making it 8 power instead of 12 power. I ran this swap by Dave Emary and he allowed it for the games. The Lyman eyepiece has the power stamped on it. Hope this helps. Bruce J.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Default Unertl eyepiece swaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86SVO351 View Post
During recoil, the scope does not move, but the rifle does during recoil. That is why you pull it back after each shot. The 12 power to 8 power swap was very easy, as only the eyepiece and the power ring need to be changed. No internal changes are required. I have also done this swap to a Lyman Super TargetSpot making it 8 power instead of 12 power. I ran this swap by Dave Emary and he allowed it for the games. The Lyman eyepiece has the power stamped on it. Hope this helps. Bruce J.
I may be wrong but I believe on Unertl target scopes the power is determined by the lens or magnification located within the main scope body not eyepiece. Unertl sold increasing power eyepieces.

If I am correct you would still have a 12X scope with a 8X power magnification power ring on it.

TW56
Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 AM

TW56: I think that you are correct with the Unertl eyepiece power rating. I looked in the Unertl 1956 scope booklet and they were charging $5.00 to change any scope power internally. Maybe it is just the Lyman scopes that the eyepiece determinds the power of the scope. Thank-you for setting me straight. Bruce J.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Stupid noob question about the vintage scopes on the 40X:
I read somewhere that the scopes were designed to be mounted with the mounts a little over 7" apart, to coordinate with the adjustments of the knobs. Would it be better to have the rear mount on the fore-tapped receiver screws?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM

I believe by keeping the mounts at the specified distance you could count on 1/4 MOA clicks but I've never confirmed this by checking at the range. As the temperatures drop here in NEOH it will become too cold for prone. Once it's bench season I'll make it a point to test it on target. I'm certain this could be determined and established by math but your have to look elsewhere for that. God has gifted me in abundance but math and keeping wives aren't on the list.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM

7.2" center to center for the scope blocks was standard to get 1/4 minute change per click. Rifles that came drilled and tapped for scope blocks either had 1 block on he receiver ring and one on the barrel or 1 block on the barrel just forward of the receiver ring and the second 7.2" forward on the barrel.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
7.2" center to center for the scope blocks was standard to get 1/4 minute change per click. Rifles that came drilled and tapped for scope blocks either had 1 block on he receiver ring and one on the barrel or 1 block on the barrel just forward of the receiver ring and the second 7.2" forward on the barrel.
Well the 40X has the block on the back end and the next block on the barrel. Quite a ways past 7.2" between. However the D/T on the ring above the breech may be perfect. I'll have to check later on. I imagine the further apart the mounts are the more fine tuned you could get the adjustments, but run out of clicks more quickly.