Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM

I like mine too...

USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM

The trick with placing a scope block on the front receiver position of the 40X is finding the combination of blocks for the receiver and barrel. If your CMP 40X came with scope blocks it was one on the rear position and one on the barrel. The forward receiver position is measurably higher than the rear. So, I'm guessing that if you have a .175" block on the forward receiver, you'll need something like a .425" on the barrel. Have no fear, Champion Shooters Supply (www.championshooters.com) show a diverse selection.

I've been using my USMC Sniper for awhile and continue to be very happy with it. If I could change one thing I'd go for a finer cross hair. Or, since I'm in the realm of fantasy, a really fine cross hair and a 2 MOA target dot. Ahhhh...perfection!

My current set up has the scope "rings" 10.5" rather than 7.2". I'm guessing approx 1/8 MOA per click?? Time will tell.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Last edited by presidentg; 09-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentg View Post
The trick with placing a scope block on the front receiver position of the 40X is finding the combination of blocks for the receiver and barrel. If your CMP 40X came with scope blocks it was one on the rear position and one on the barrel. The forward receiver position is measurably higher than the rear. So, I'm guessing that if you have a .175" block on the forward receiver, you'll need something like a .425" on the barrel.
Yeah, with the nekkid eye it appears the barrel block is nearly on a level with the top of the receiver front at the D/T. Will definitely look into champs choice to get it right out of the gate.

Measuring from the front edge of the rear receiver block to the back edge of the existing barrel block is 9.5". Measuring from center between the receiver front D/T holes to center of barrel block is nearly an exact 7.375"
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM

The exact distance between the mounts isn't that important since our new best friends' QC leaves a bit to be desired. Testing at 100yds by simply boxing the adjustment 10 clicks in each leg and firing a few shots in each corner will give you your specific value per clik. Don't expect to end up exactly where you started--it's not a Leupold. Good Shooting.....
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The exact distance between the mounts isn't that important since our new best friends' QC leaves a bit to be desired. Testing at 100yds by simply boxing the adjustment 10 clicks in each leg and firing a few shots in each corner will give you your specific value per clik. Don't expect to end up exactly where you started--it's not a Leupold. Good Shooting.....
Heh, I am speaking more of Lymans and Unertls. I dug up the PDF of the 40X Range Master manual from team40x.com. It states that when the rear scope utilizes the rear receiver block, the adjustments are 6 clicks per 1 MOA. With the forward receiver mount utilized it is 4 clicks per MOA.

Another benefit (It seems to me, in any event) is not having the knobs as close to the bolt handle. My fingers are not as young as they used to be. I fumble as it is loading each round by hand, I could not imagine it being easier with the uber sized knobs protruding nearby.

Last edited by Fogtripper; 09-19-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks Fogtripper!
It's always good to know what the clicks represent. Nice that it's an even number. I have to work with TechSights and Kimbers with their strange values and I've very math challenged.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM

poochie, that looks SWEET!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 AM

One cautionary note: Protect your Hi Lux from water. My 1941 was out in a quick shower--nothing much. I wiped it down and put it inside to dry out. A week later I looked through it, and....disaster. Removed the eyepiece and actually shook a few drops out. Water between two lenses, dried it out as much as possible but still dark. Talked to Mike at Ironsight and he said get it to him ASAP to prevent damage to the coatings. From now on, the 1941 stays in a case except when it's being used. or the scope will be off it and in a case. The Hi Lux scopes have their issues but I still like them. There is nothing that compares to the 1941 repros--truly the iconic sniper rifle of the last century. Good Shooting.....