Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM

a newbie question - what is that doodad screwed into the side, under the clip release latch? I've seen those before.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

A grenade launching sight base.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosinnewbe View Post
You got a good deal.
Thanks.
I didn't clean it or even wipe it down. The light is bad in the pics.

I really am a newbie with surplus but I felt I did ok when I took it to the counter. I told them this rifle looks better than I expected for a field grade. Bob replied," That's exactly what I said when I put it out this morning."

Then, when I was heading out a guy was packing up my stuff, called my name and said, "You done good." After he rolled my items out the side door he said, "You better stop and buy a lottery ticket on the way home cuz you got lucky."

I know, it's just a field grade...but it's a nice field grade.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM

It is a really fine rifle especially the ME and TE being in the 1s. That is what is the most important in my opinion. Those readings meet and exceed military specs for new Garand barrels. Your rifle should perform as new. And it looks great too.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 AM

Congratulations, that's a beautiful rifle...looks like my sleeping in kept me from snatching it up! That would be an exceptional SG, in my opinion. The wood is gorgeous, with nice grain and good color, the finish looks good on the metal, the barrel is like new...you did very well. Any chance for a parts breakdown? I'm always curious about what's going on inside the gun.

Not sure if I ran into you at the store or not, I was the guy with the camera, who spent most of my time debating between the 2 FG left on the rack.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM

I thought field grades were supposed to be dogs, that is a nice looking gun.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:40 PM

If my HRA FG that's due anytime looks this good I'll be one happy camper. Nice.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosinnewbe View Post
It is a really fine rifle especially the ME and TE being in the 1s. That is what is the most important in my opinion. Those readings meet and exceed military specs for new Garand barrels. Your rifle should perform as new. And it looks great too.
Thanks. I can't wait to fire it.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
Congratulations, that's a beautiful rifle...looks like my sleeping in kept me from snatching it up! That would be an exceptional SG, in my opinion. The wood is gorgeous, with nice grain and good color, the finish looks good on the metal, the barrel is like new...you did very well. Any chance for a parts breakdown? I'm always curious about what's going on inside the gun.

Not sure if I ran into you at the store or not, I was the guy with the camera, who spent most of my time debating between the 2 FG left on the rack.
Thanks for the comments. I couldn't be happier with the way everything turned out.
Yep, I didn't get much sleep the night before so I was up early. I was surprised to be the first one there. I think there were only 5 FG's, not 6.

I didn't know who you were til I read your post and saw the pics. I remember ducking around things and going around aisles to avoid ruining your shots. I was going to take my camera but didn't because I thought they might not want pics taken on base. I was the guy with the big grin on his face.

I would be happy to give a parts list when I figure out how to break it down and where to look for the markings. Stay tuned.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
Any chance for a parts breakdown? I'm always curious about what's going on inside the gun.
OK, I did a field strip. I'm glad too, because the whole back end of the stock was soaked in oil and grease. That can't be good for the wood. I cleaned it all up and let it air out for a while-no visible issues.

Here is what I found:

---BARREL SA 2 55 A218B followed by "P" and "m" followed by stamp-3 stars and eagle
---BOLT D28287-19 SA
--OP ROD D35382 3 SA
--TRIGGER HOUSING D28290-12 SA
--SAFETY LEVER(?) C46016-6 SA
--HAMMER C46008-3 SA
--RECEIVER-this is all stamped on the "leg" under the op rod handle in this orientation:
A 18 then at the end a "w"
D28291 35

then to the right of the "w" on the angled part of the leg is a "6"
then on the bottom edge under the 'D28291' is "R" with a small "4"

--STOCK circle P on grip and that same stamp with 3 stars and eagle on left side under receiver-3/8" (D.O.D. stamp?)
Bob told me all the wood is HRA and all the stock metal is SA

So, what does all that mean? No, really, what does it mean? Thanks.

Last edited by 5 x 5; 07-19-2013 at 04:06 PM.