Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 04:22 PM

Looks like you've got a 3/8" HRA stock, a postwar replacement barrel, and a bunch of WW2 SA parts. The bolt might be correct for your gun (although I think it's a bit later), the trigger group is maybe a little early, and the op rod is a couple revisions early.

That being said, you've got a nice package there. It should shoot the wings off a fly as is, or you could probably trade most of the parts for correct ones, if you choose to.

Either way, your gun is making a lot of people jealous, myself included! Congrats!

FWIW, I have one very close to your serial number that's mostly correct. Your parts should be very similar to these, if that's important to you (to 90% of Garand owners, it means nothing to have a correct gun; this is in case you're one of us anal-retentive types, haha):

Last edited by dpd3672; 07-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
Looks like you've got a 3/8" HRA stock, a postwar replacement barrel, and a bunch of WW2 SA parts. The bolt might be correct for your gun (although I think it's a bit later), the trigger group is maybe a little early, and the op rod is a couple revisions early.

That being said, you've got a nice package there. It should shoot the wings off a fly as is, or you could probably trade most of the parts for correct ones, if you choose to.

Either way, your gun is making a lot of people jealous, myself included! Congrats!

FWIW, I have one very close to your serial number that's mostly correct. Your parts should be very similar to these, if that's important to you (to 90% of Garand owners, it means nothing to have a correct gun; this is in case you're one of us anal-retentive types, haha):
Thanks for your info. If it helps, the rest of the bolt stamp is "B 13 (diamond)"
When you say "early", do you mean early WW2 or just too early for my serial#?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM

You are referring to the heat lot on your bolt.

The trigger components and operating rod are from World War 2, but they were used in production a bit before your receiver was made. That being said it's not uncmmon for earlier parts to find their way Into later guns, especially during wartime production.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
You are referring to the heat lot on your bolt.

The trigger components and operating rod are from World War 2, but they were used in production a bit before your receiver was made. That being said it's not uncmmon for earlier parts to find their way Into later guns, especially during wartime production.
Shows how much I know

For me, I am not as worried about "correct" as I am WW2-era. That's not to say having a correct rifle wouldn't be great.

Can you tell me what the "P" and "m" are on the barrel and where to find the markings on the gas cylinder? I noticed you listed one on your post about your FG (which is nice, by the way).

Last edited by 5 x 5; 07-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 x 5 View Post
--STOCK circle P on grip and that same stamp with 3 stars and eagle on left side under receiver-3/8" (D.O.D. stamp?)
Bob told me all the wood is HRA and all the stock metal is SA

So, what does all that mean? No, really, what does it mean? Thanks.
THe P is for passed (on the stock near the trigger). The rifle was proof fired at the armory with a overload cartridge to see if there were any issues. The 3 stars and eagle? That might be the CMP stamp. Not sure.

Last edited by Mosinnewbe; 07-19-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM

FWIW, I was told that the three stars and an eagle is a D.O.D acceptance stamp.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC51 View Post
FWIW, I was told that the three stars and an eagle is a D.O.D acceptance stamp.
I believe I have the same stamp on my 03A3 and it is not a CMP rifle so you must be right.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 AM

Above is what this forum is all about.

Kudos to both of you.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM

I looked it up and that stamp is the Defense Acceptance Stamp. The manufacturers (except Winchester) started using it in 1953. HRA is the only one who used a 3/8" size Defense Acceptance Stamp cartouche. Mine is 3/8" so HRA stock. HRA switched to a 1/2" size later in production. SA and IH used a 1/2" size also.

Updated...

Last edited by 5 x 5; 07-20-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 x 5 View Post
I looked it up and that stamp is the Defense Acceptance Stamp. The manufacturers (except Winchester) started using it in 1953. HRA is the only one who used a 3/8" size Defense Acceptance Stamp cartouche. Mine is 3/8" so HRA stock. HRA switched to a 1/2" size later in production. SA and IH used a 1/2" size also.

Updated...
So my '43 Smith Corona 03A3 doesn't have it on it ( I have it in storage). It must be on my '55 SA Garand